What's new

Travel Exploring Roppongi

JustinIs18

Sempai
30 Apr 2016
If anyone knows any sightseeing attractions or things to do in Roppongi, it would be much appreciated! (note I have done research and looked up things to see and do but there could be some stuff I could not know of that someone else knows of)

Very, very few attractions in Roppongi for the daytime traveler. Roppongi is a night spot, and people generally go there for dining and drinking. Roppongi Hills and Midtown are two newish shopping malls in Roppongi. Roppongi Hills has a nice cinema. Midtown has Dean & Deluca. Both are nice places to walk around in air-conditioned luxury (if you are here in the summer), but don't come looking for any ancient cultural artifact. Beware the touts and the strip clubs in Roppongi. Heed the warnings of the US Embassy about drinking in Roppongi.
American Citizen Services | Tokyo, Japan - Embassy of the United States

How about helping us by saying what you already know, so we don't waste our time?

Get around more than just one tiny burg in the vast expanse of Tokyo. To help you, please tell us what interests you about sightseeing in Japan.

How about helping us by saying what you already know, so we don't waste our time?

Get around more than just one tiny burg in the vast expanse of Tokyo. To help you, please tell us what interests you about sightseeing in Japan.
Tokyo Travel: Roppongi Pretty much stuff on this website and these sights on this website The Top 10 Things to Do in Tokyo - TripAdvisor I am very interested in basically every thing has to do with Japan, but to be specific I would have to say I am very fasinated with Japanese culture and the history of Japan, thanks for taking your time to reply to this thread :)

I've never heard anybody who said they were interested in Japanese culture and history mention either of those in conjunction with Roppongi....

I've never heard anybody who said they were interested in Japanese culture and history mention either of those in conjunction with Roppongi....
Well I like night life and I love the culture and am very interested in it I always have been since I was 16, at one point I wanted to become a english teacher and teach and live in Japan but I changed my mind for various reasons, so both of the culture,history and the night life would be the ultimate combination for me! I'm just all around in love with Japan

It's difficult to give you a list of night spots, especially since most of us don't go out clubbing in Tokyo any more. I've found that more so than the place, any given experience has a lot to do with the people you meet there and interact with.

BTW the bad rap everybody gives Roppongi is really about the main strip with bars, and annoying touts out front. A street or two away from there and it's like just about anywhere else -- quiet, restaurants, residential areas. Of course there's a much much higher proportion of expats. I've been there many times just to hang out with friends, eat dinner & whatnot. The location typically picked for the convenience of all who were joining or for the particular restaurant/bar.

As far hot new attractions go, you can't get any hotter than the world's first Snoopy Museum which just opened. It might even help you with the ladies. When they ask you what you're doing in Roppongi, you'll say, Oh I came looking for the Snoopy Museum. Then you'll show them the little plush Snoopy you bought and their hearts will melt.

Well I like night life and I love the culture and am very interested in it I always have been since I was 16, at one point I wanted to become a english teacher and teach and live there but I changed my mind for various reasons, so both of them would be the ultimate combination for me!
It's difficult to give you a list of night spots, especially since most of us don't go out clubbing in Tokyo any more. I've found that more so than the place, any given experience has a lot to do with the people you meet there and interact with.

BTW the bad rap everybody gives Roppongi is really about the main strip with bars, and annoying touts out front. A street or two away from there and it's like just about anywhere else -- quiet, restaurants, residential areas. Of course there's a much much higher proportion of expats. I've been there many times just to hang out with friends, eat dinner & whatnot. The location typically picked for the convenience of all who were joining or for the particular restaurant/bar.

As far hot new attractions go, you can't get any hotter than the world's first Snoopy Museum which just opened. It might even help you with the ladies. When they ask you what you're doing in Roppongi, you'll say, Oh I came looking for the Snoopy Museum. Then you'll show them the little plush Snoopy you bought and their hearts will melt.
I appreciate you replying stay humble :) , yeah I will for sure check that Museum out and buy a plush Snoopy as a souvenir! Thanks for your advice, that's a really good move with the plush snoopy

I can tell you a thing or two about the nightlife based on information from 2010. You might wanna make sure it is still accurate.

- I would normally never say this, but stay away from black guys that approach you. It always means trouble (sometimes in being scammed in paying a huuuge bar tap, sometimes in paying an entrance fee in a place where no entrance fee has to be paid, or soometimes in getting a drink and then waking up hours later without you wallet not remembering anything)
- if you walk with five friends into an empty bar, and three minutes later you see exactly five talkative girls walking in, stay away from them. It's another scam, in which you'll dance with them and the staff asking her for a drink which you'll have to pay.
- gaspanic (I think that was the name) is a club in which you'll have to have a drink on you at ALL times. Security and staff walk around with a flashlight. No drink or an empty one in your hand means ordering or getting out. It's rediculous really.

As for daytime things, refer to the first post. Nothing to add to that.

I think it is a place that one, especially young people, must have experienced. Sleazy at it is, it IS a part of Tokyo, and makes it what it is. Tokyo is not only Shibuya, Shinjuku and Ginza. It is also Roppongi and Kabukicho. Not acknowledging is like denying that ugly girl in the corner is your sister when at the prom.

I can tell you a thing or two about the nightlife based on information from 2010. You might wanna make sure it is still accurate.

- I would normally never say this, but stay away from black guys that approach you. It always means trouble (sometimes in being scammed in paying a huuuge bar tap, sometimes in paying an entrance fee in a place where no entrance fee has to be paid, or soometimes in getting a drink and then waking up hours later without you wallet not remembering anything)
- if you walk with five friends into an empty bar, and three minutes later you see exactly five talkative girls walking in, stay away from them. It's another scam, in which you'll dance with them and the staff asking her for a drink which you'll have to pay.
- gaspanic (I think that was the name) is a club in which you'll have to have a drink on you at ALL times. Security and staff walk around with a flashlight. No drink or an empty one in your hand means ordering or getting out. It's rediculous really.

I think it is a place that one, especially young people, must have experienced. Sleazy at it is, it IS a part of Tokyo, and makes it what it is. Tokyo is not only Shibuya, Shinjuku and Ginza. It is also Roppongi and Kabukicho. Not acknowledging is like denying that ugly girl in the corner is your sister when at the prom.
I heard about that drink scam as well, I've been doing research. To be honest I had an idea I want to know what you would have to say about it, I was thinking about pre-drinking in my hotel with a bottle I bought at a liquor store or something so I don't spend my entire budget on drinks that cost so much. Thanks for your advice, I really appreciate you looking out for me, I well for sure keep the information you shared in my head for years to come and when I go. "Not acknowledging is like denying that ugly girl in the corner is your sister when at the prom." I died, I really enjoyed that analogy xD

Pre-drinking is fine. The only downside is that may get drunk enough for some of these people to take advantage of you. Leave most of your money and half your credit cards/IDs in your hotel lock box so that worst case you don't lose everything. Best if you have some friends to hang out with. There's strength in numbers.

Pre-drinking is fine. The only downside is that may get drunk enough for some of these people to take advantage of you. Leave most of your money and half your credit cards/IDs in your hotel lock box so that worst case you don't lose everything. Best if you have some friends to hang out with. There's strength in numbers.
Yeah I'd be going with my friends, hopefully I don't get robbed xD

I'd be going with my friends
This is a new development in your story. Do tell.

I was thinking about pre-drinking in my hotel with a bottle I bought at a liquor store or something
Dig, dig, dig. Yeah, you're coming here for the culture and history. That's clear.

Last edited:

I was wondering if Roppongi is english friendly and do some Japanese women and men speak english? Because I am going to try to prepare and learn 2 years of Japanese language reading,writing,speaking and understanding but I for sure know I will not be fluent and will still be a beginner.

I was wondering if Roppongi is english friendly and do some Japanese women and men speak english? Because I am going to try to prepare and learn 2 years of Japanese language reading,writing,speaking and understanding but I for sure know I will not be fluent and will still be a beginner.
Relative to the rest of the country, yes, it's english friendly. At the very least, there are plenty of non-Japanese people you can grab to ask for help. Lots of people go to Japan knowing zero Japanese so don't worry too much about it. Of course the more you know the better.

I've been doing some research and is Roppongi a bad place to go for vacation because I've been reading and doing research and is this post accurate? Roppongi = Gaijin Toilet -

GaijinPot Forums

I've been doing some research and is Roppongi a bad place to go for vacation because I've been reading and doing research and is this post accurate? Roppongi = Gaijin Toilet -

GaijinPot Forums

You missed the posts linking you to Embassy warnings about that place or something? You miss the vibe you're getting from people finding your fascination with the place to be scuzzy?

You missed the posts linking you to Embassy warnings about that place or something? You miss the vibe you're getting from people finding your fascination with the place to be scuzzy?
I saw the Embassy warning, but I am not American but it still applies to me seeing as it is a warning, I am re-thinking Roppongi and maybe going for something like Shibuya. I am confused about this part "You miss the vibe you're getting from people finding your fascination with the place to be scuzzy" can you re-word that please, I do not quite understand

I think Roppongi hills would be fine, I think the people are posting about the garbage parts.

See it for yourself. If you don't like the vibe you can easily go to Shibuya. It's just a short train or taxi away. I think the post is accurate in that you are unlikely to meet many unattached Japanese girls there. But I actually happened to meet my first Japanese girlfriend in Motown House. And a friend of ours -- a Japanese girl -- met her (first) husband in Gaspanic. So one never knows.
I think if you go there looking for something specific, you're not likely to find it. Life happens.

You know, I think part of Roppongi's image is because it is in Tokyo/Japan. Japan is regarded a super safe and neat country, which makes Roppongi stick out as a no go area. However, in any other country in Europe, Asia, or North America, it would just be another bar district. The reputation of gaijin meets J girl for nasty business is of course true, but that is also because of the homogeneous population of Japan, and there are not that many places where people can act on mutual interest in each others race this well. I'm sure an equal amount of humpings take place in other cities around the world during a night out, but no one would make comments about it because its harder to separate foreigner from native.

See it for yourself. If you don't like the vibe you can easily go to Shibuya. It's just a short train or taxi away. I think the post is accurate in that you are unlikely to meet many unattached Japanese girls there. But I actually happened to meet my first Japanese girlfriend in Motown House. And a friend of ours -- a Japanese girl -- met her (first) husband in Gaspanic. So one never knows.
I think if you go there looking for something specific, you're not likely to find it. Life happens.
I'm not looking for anything specific just want to get as many opinions and knowledge before I go, even though it's 2 years in advance, I appreciate you commenting and taking the time out of your day to reply :)

Back
Top Bottom