What's new

Excess... "Too"

Tyrick

後輩
29 Nov 2009
Hello, all. So, I am going to Japan in 5 days to stay for the winter break and am STRESSING over learning as much as possible!! But still, I have a lot of holes in my understand of the basics...

Anyway, could someone please tell me how to say that something is "too [ADJECTIVE]"

like.. "This food is too spicy!"

A translator told me the expression would be "あまりに [Adjective]"... but I am not about to try and learn from a translator...

I know すぎる is useful at times, especially when added it to a verb... but I don't know if it comes in handy in this case.. Anyway. Thanks a lot!

Tyrick

すぎる can be used also for adjectives as the form "the stem of adjective + すぎる."
e.g.
too spicy: 辛すぎる
too quiet: 静かすぎる

Agree with Toritoribe, all you need for adjectives is すぎる. If you structure it right, you should be able to use it any any situation. I'd suggest sticking with that until you feel confortable enough to try something else.

余りに can be used with forms other than adjectives, so it comes in handy in sentences like

あまりに疲れて、宿題ができなかった。I was too tired to do my homework.

You can use あまりに, but I'd expect there to be a result
in a あまりにAでBでした format:
あまりに辛くて食べられませんでした。
(It was so spicy I couldn't eat it.)

You can use あまりに, but I'd expect there to be a result
in a あまりにAでBでした format:
あまりに辛くて食べられませんでした。
(It was so spicy I couldn't eat it.)
I don't think there necessarily has to be a "result" with あまりに(も) if it modifies the verb or adverb. (There is too much hot food). あまりにもたくさんの辛い食べ物があります。 If that's not entirely natural, at least the point stands...

But sticking to the above example sentences, the patterns to remember are あまりにAでBでした or 「あまりに....で~できない」. 「(~するには)....すぎる」 is used simply to emphasize the degree of the excess.

Of course あまりに and すぎる are not unusually seen in combination and there are ways to get a "too" statement across without either, but not to confuse a stressed out OP any more just yet... 😅

First of all, both あまりに and すぎる implies a condition or result.

このカレーは辛すぎる ≒ このカレーは食べるには辛すぎる/このカレーは辛すぎて食べられない。
このカレーはあまりに(も)辛い ≒ このカレーは食べるにはあまりに(も)辛い/このカレーはあまりに(も)辛くて食べられない。

昨日は疲れすぎていた ≒ 昨日は~をするには疲れす ぎていた/昨日は疲れすぎていて~できなかった
昨日はあまりに(も)疲れていた ≒ 昨日は~をする にはあまりに(も)疲れていた/昨日はあまりに(も)疲れていて~できなかった

when I hear amari ni karai... it sounds like "quite spicy" or "really spicy" and karasugiru is like "this is too spicy". I'm not sure if that is the correct interpretation or not ^^;

when I hear amari ni karai... it sounds like "quite spicy" or "really spicy" and karasugiru is like "this is too spicy". I'm not sure if that is the correct interpretation or not ^^;
Both mean too spicy to eat. (like Tori said...) :)

Sorry for not being here lately either. :p

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom