What's new

English Law School programs

grahfcard

Registered
4 Jun 2016
Hello everyone,

I've been having trouble finding English language Law School programs to apply for with MEXT. I feel I have a good chance of getting the scholarship, but haven't yet found the schools/professors to apply to. I have contacted a prospective professor at the University of Nagoya and am currently keeping in touch with him, however I obviously want to have more options ready. I am mainly interested in a PhD, or LLM if PhD isn't available, however most Global 30 universities I checked either didn't have Law School or didn't have an English program.

Has anyone pursued a law degree program with MEXT, and could offer some advice or direction?

Thanks in advance.

This begs the question, why would you want to study law, in English, in Japan? Where would you want to practice law?

My wife , who works for a very large law firm here in Maine, says a lawyer with such a degree would probably never get hired in most states in the US.

yes, that's what I'm getting at. Law is such a specific field, you can't just study it anywhere and then go practice wherever you like. It's not an area of study that goes well with "I want to study in Japan" unless you're planning on studying Japanese law in Japanese so you can practice Japanese law in Japan

PhDs are not aimed at improving lawyer-specific skills, nor do I intend to pursue it in order to become a better lawyer, or a practicing lawyer in Japan/the US (I'm not from the US). That being said, the fact that there are English-language law programs in Japan, there must be an academic market for them (not necessarily job related). I am interested in studying Japanese law generally because I'm involved in developing Japanese business relations in my own country as a practicing lawyer here, and this would help me; on the other hand, I am very much interested in Japan's history and experience in competition law, from a scholarly perspective (I pursued this subject previously in relation to US/EU). I appreciate the concern and advice, but I've already got job security and am not planning on something else, but merely wish to further my academic study specifically in relation to Japan (I would not be very interested in a program elsewhere, say in readily accessible EU countries).

Anyway, thank you for the answers and any additional information on such programs is most welcome.

Back
Top Bottom