What's new

EJU scoring system?

kensaurus

先輩
6 Jan 2009
Anybody here knows anything about the scoring system of the EJU?
I'm now all ready to study for EJU so I need to set a target for getting a certain result.
How well must the result be for me to get into Keio or Waseda?
Thanks.

I only have information I found on the Web here.
Basically, I couldn't find any test score information for Waseda or Keio, but the scores for Nagoya University should serve as a benchmark.
Nagoya U is a national university. Though not has high-ranking as the University of Tokyo, it is prominent for its natural sciences and engineering departments. I think one of last year's Nobel laureates from Japan hails from the university. Considering its status, I think it compares similarly to Waseda and Keio.

For Nagoya, the Japanese language test score should be 220 (out of 400) or higher. For other subjects, the minimum score is 265 or higher. That means you should score well over these levels. Also, it appears that you have to take all these tests in Japanese, according to the Waseda University website.

I also found a blog entry by a Korean student at Waseda's Education Deparment (one of the most prominent teacher's college in Japan), who offers some tips on taking the test.
独立行政法人日本学生支援機構

I have also read that the Japanese language competence test focuses on "academic Japanese," rather than conversational or everyday Japanese, for the student to be able to keep up with studies. So, that's another important point you should consider.

Hope it helps! :)

Howdy,

There's quite a bit of uniformity in the 219+ for Japanese requirement. Other than that I've seen a couple schools that require 280+ and maybe one or two that required 240. For the general subjects test I think most schools consider 60%+ passing. I'm bunkei so I didn't need or take math/science.

The EJU minimum scores are, generally, only required to be able to sit for the exam and aren't added in to your 'score' officially, though I'm sure there are schools that look at them more closely, and for sure scoring exactly the minimum score doesn't really look good.

When I was looking at past pass/nopass vs EJU score statistics, high-EJU no-passes and low-EJU passes weren't uncommon. One that stuck out was someone had a score of 340 or so and was a no-pass, and right below it was a 240 or so and was a pass.

On the contrary, the EJU Japanese section tests much more conversational, everyday Japanese than the Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT). The EJU Japanese portion tries to test your ability to comprehend what's written or what's being said and choose the right information based on that rather than the 'correctness' of your Japanese. The EJU listening sections even use slang a bit. Often problems are something like 2 students talking about when a book is due back to the library or what room the club meeting will be in.

Exams for international student undergraduates are usually a short essay (usually 400, 800, 1000 letters in 60 minutes or so) and an interview (sometimes group, sometimes individual, usually 10-25 minutes [probably depends on number of applicants as well]).

Except for a small handful--almost all of the students I met at Waseda that were in the education department had little to no real interest in teaching and only entered it because it was relatively easier to get under the Waseda brand name. ( My intention in saying this is not throw mud at anyone, but rather to point out what my experience has lead me to believe is an inaccurate description (and contest its propogation). )

Personally, I think it comes down to your REASON for wanting to go to THAT department of THAT university being compatible with the GOALS of THAT department (and, of course, being able to communicate that to the interviewers).

Good luck!
a7mouse

Back
Top Bottom