What's new

Earth Lights

jeisan

Kongming
24 Feb 2003
so i was cleaning out my inbox and stumbled upon this email i got 2.5 years ago. it got a really interesting picture, which i might add has been poorly tagged since i last saw it, but still well worth seeing.

The image is a panoramic view of the world from the new space station.

It is a night photo with the lights clearly indicating the populated areas.

You can scroll East-West and North-South. Note that Canada's population is almost exclusively along the U.S. border. Moving east to Europe, there is a high population concentration along the Mediterranean Coast. It's easy to spot London, Paris, Stockholm and Vienna. Check out the development of Israel compared to the rest of the Arab countries.

Note the Nile River and the rest of the "Dark Continent. After the Nile, the lights don't come on again until Johannesburg. Look at the Australian Outback and the Trans-Siberian Rail Route. Moving east, the most striking observation is the difference between North and South Korea. Note the density of Japan.

What a piece of photography. It is an absolutely awesome picture of the Earth taken from the Boeing built Space Station last November (2001) on a perfect night with no obscuring atmospheric conditions.

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/image/0011/earthlights_dmsp_big.jpg

Very interesting picture indeed! 👍
Strange that there are only so few lights in Canada... looks like they had a power outage or something... 😌

Really cool picture man. And the reason for Canada having so little lights is we have an extremely low population density. We have the second biggest country in the world yet only 30 million occupants. Plus you are probably confusing Southern Canada as part of America, seeing as most of our population is down here. But yeh, Lots of land. No complaints here, more room for me.. Heh.

id just guess its warmer in southern canada than further north so more people woulda wanna live there :p that quote is what came with the mail and not my own words as well. its much like australia, with a land mass near the size of the continental US but only about 17 million people.

del 👍

That is an awesome photo!!! I had a really low-res version as my wallpaper at work. This higher-res version will now replace it!!!

thanks for the link!!!! 🙂

Porl''

Back
Top Bottom