What's new

Do you need to pass the JLPT in sequential order?

SEYZJP

先輩
4 Aug 2008
I have been studying Japanese for about a year and a half now and recently found out about the JLPT. I am wondering if you need to start off by taking them in sequential order? I can definitely pass Level 4 right now and after 6 months of living in Japan and studying the way I am, there's no doubt I can pass the level 3, the next time it comes around. I am just wondering if I need to take them in the order of 4,3,2,1, or can I take level 3 without passing 4?

Thanks

From what I understand, a lot of people just skip level 4 and take 3 first. I doubt you need to take all in sequential order, but most do since the gap between 3 and 2 is pretty big I hear.

Yes. Many people start with Sankyuu. They just skip Yonkyuu. But I gave Yonkyuu, and appearing for Sankyuu, on 6th Dec 2009, Sunday.
I hope I could pass with good marks.

Difference between Sankyuu and Nikyuu is very large. Sankyuu has around 300-400 Kanji's, but Nikyuu has around 1000 Kanji's. So, much larger difference. That's why from the next year, 2010, they (JLPT) have divided Nikyuu in 2 levels.

Instead of estimating your level based on how long or hard you've been studying, look around for practice tests and past test questions to determine which test to take. You can register to take any level you want.

no, you have to take it in order, but your eventual goal should be the 一級, all other level are essentially useless in real life. they are more like a stepping stones.

no, you have to take it in order, but your eventual goal should be the 一級, all other level are essentially useless in real life. they are more like a stepping stones.

Not necessarily. Ikyuu level is not needed to survive in Japan. Nikyuu can do your job. All you need is strong kanji, good vocab, keigo and correct grammar, which is cleared at Sankyuu level.

Not necessarily. Ikyuu level is not needed to survive in Japan. Nikyuu can do your job. All you need is strong kanji, good vocab, keigo and correct grammar, which is cleared at Sankyuu level.

what can you do with jlpt 4 3 2 kyu? find a job, be a interpreter? watch anime?

what can you do with jlpt 4 3 2 kyu? find a job, be a interpreter? watch anime?

Yes sure.
At Sankyuu (passed), you can get a job of simple translations.
At Sankyuu level, you can watch movies, anime but at this stage you can only understand some words, and not the entire movie.
To find a job of interpreter, you must pass Nikyuu level. And passing Nikyuu level is way too high.
I am at Sankyuu level, and I can understand some movies, not entirely but at least 50%.
At Sankyuu level, you must know appropriate Knaji's to do translations and meaning.
I love Kanji's very much.

Also, if u get the job of translations, you can charge your fees per word.
In my country, depending upon your proficiency level, you can charge Rs. 7 to Rs. 18 per word. Let's say I am charging Rs. 13 per word. So, if I do translation of just 200 words, I can easily earn Rs. 2600 = $52 (per day and just 200 words). If you have good capacity, then you can go for 400-500 words a day, so around $100 a day and this income is apart from my job.
So, in a month, just by translating 300 words, and if my rate is Rs.7 per word, then my monthly income is $1260, and this job hardly takes 2-3 hours, provided you know around almost all the words which are there for your level.

And if in your mindset, if you have decided to do only Japanese, you can easily earn $20,000 a year, by taking Japanese tuitions and can do translations, so approx $32,000 a year, but for this, you must be Nikyuu passed.
And $32,000 a year is very good money in my country, its approx Rs. 16,00,000.
So approx 32,00,000 Yen a year.

you're telling your making money with japanese level of a 6 year old (jlpt 3 = 300 kanji = first 2 years of primary school) ? give me some proof. up load a copy of ur pay slip.

you're telling your making money with japanese level of a 6 year old (jlpt 3 = 300 kanji = first 2 years of primary school) ? give me some proof. up load a copy of ur pay slip.

Sorry 2 say, but Im currently not working, as I haven't passed JLPT lvl 3. This year ill pass, i hope.
And 300 Kanji is primary level is in Japan, but not here. Here, very very few people learn foreign language, and Japanese is very rare. Lets say, hardly 3-5% of the total population learn foreign language but only 0.3%-0.9% people learn Japanese and LEARN means up to level 2.
And 300 kanji is not d only solution. You don't get to start ur job immediately. When u join any firm that requires japanese language, for first 2-3 months, they give u d training of some 300-400 more kanjis and some technical terms... and grammar too, if needed...
Then only u can start earning.

Ok, see this. In short, we follow these rules and according to this portion we do our study.

1) Yonkyu : Level 4 (Basic Level as per JLPT) | Duration : 180 Hrs.
Course Contents :
Basic Script: Hiragana & Katakana
Kanjis: 280 Nos.
Grammar Patterns: 80 Nos.
Vocabulary: 1500 Nos.
Daily life situations: Day to Day life situations like self introduction, Shopping, Visit to the Doctor, Telephone Conversation.

2) Sankyu: Level 3 (JLPT) | Duration : 300 Hrs.
Course Contents:
Kanjis: 300 Nos.
Grammar Patterns: Around 80 Nos.
Vocabulary: 2000 Nos.
Daily life situations: Daily life Conversation.

3) Yonkyu+Sankyu : Level 4+3 (JLPT) | Duration : 380 Hrs.
Course Contents:
Kanjis: 500 Nos.
Grammar Patterns: Around 160 Nos.
Vocabulary: 3500 Nos.
Daily life situations: Daily life Conversation.

4) Nikyu : Level 2 (JLPT) | Duration : 400 Hrs.
Course Contents :
Kanjis: 1000 Nos.
Grammar Patterns: Around 173 Nos.
Vocabulary: 6000 Nos.
Daily life situations: Advance level Conversation.

Back
Top Bottom