What's new

Distinguishing between る & う verbs

zxuiji

Sempai
27 Feb 2017
The genki book mentions this as i/e & a/u/o rule which is fine if there no consonants but when there are I get confused, after re-reading the chapter on this (the て chapter recommended doing so in a footnote) I thought that maybe the rule applies not directly before the る but rather directly after the last consonant before る which works for 帰る (mentioned in the chapter) but I was wandering if there was any verbs where this would not work (aside from する & くる). If you're struggling to think of any you could try using the "Japanese Conjugation City" app I found on Google Play, planning to try it myself after learning more verbs (since I've not yet found an option to customize what verbs appear so as to select only the genki book 1 set). Also as a side note which is lower grade N1 or N5? (I keep getting confused there)

Well there's 切る and 着る. They conjugate differently. 切って, 着て

N1 is most advanced level.

darn, I was hoping that would work, I guess memorization is the only way. As for N1 no wonder things seemed more difficult in those type of test in the apps I've been using, been doing it the wrong way round XD

Back
Top Bottom