What's new

Describing people

Dante17

先輩
3 Dec 2013
Hi there. I've got three sentences here that I need marked :)

1. Yasuo is not tall

2. Yasuo is very bright (smart)

3. Norio is wearing a new shirt today

My answers:

1. Yasuo San wa sega takai ja arimasen

2. Yasuo San wa atama ga ii desu.

( really unsure about this next one, but I gave it my best shot.)

3. Norio San wa kyo atarashii shiyatsu wo kimasu.

Also, there is one more that my book wants me to answer but have no idea how to answer. It wants me to translate:

Norio is skinny, but Yasuo is overweight.

How would that be worded in japanese? The 'but' is confusing me.

Thanks for reading

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, so I should be using the te-iru form again to express the present state of him wearing the shirt?

Norio is skinny, but Yasuo is overweight.

How would that be worded in japanese? The 'but' is confusing me.

There are a few ways to express contrast or "but". A lot depends on how many sentences you want when you're done. Have you learned anything that means "but" yet?

No, nothing like 'but' yet :/ I was curious why my book expected me to know it when it hasn't mentioned it

Oh no, I have that. Was just stating that my book didn't mention it :p I'll have to check out your link later however as I'm quite busy ATM

Well, you have a few options. You can use "でも" / "しかし" at the beginning of a sentence to indicate that the sentence following it is in contrast to the previous.

You can also use "が" / "けど" at the end of one sentence to conjoin two sentences and indicate that the second clause/sentence is in contrast to the first.

For example:
この本が赤いです。でも、その本は青いです。
kono hon ga akai desu. demo, sono hon ha aoi desu.
"は" in the second sentence also sets it up to be a contrastive statement...if I've used it correctly :p.

Or:
この本が赤いですが、その本は青いです。
kono hon ga akai desuga, sono hon ha aoi desu.

Back
Top Bottom