What's new

Copper tag

sailorman1

Registered
28 Apr 2020
I found this on Wake Island in 1971 where I was stationed by the U.S. Weather Service. I found this in one of the trenches the Japanese occupying force dug, I think it is a Japanese soldier's identification tag. The photograph is of the copper tag and the other is a poor copy I tried to make of the inscription. Any help you can provide would be appreciated. Rick

Attachments

• 20200427_110249.jpg
    20200427_110249.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 104
  • 20200427_110336.jpg
    20200427_110336.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 118
The kanji might be 東部, meaning east side (of something) or a surname. It's strange that the numbers are print letters but the kanji are handwritten, though.

It's not a Japanese soldier's dog tag, anyway. Here's a typical one.

I found this on Wake Island in 1971 where I was stationed by the U.S. Weather Service. I found this in one of the trenches the Japanese occupying force dug, I think it is a Japanese soldier's identification tag. The photograph is of the copper tag and the other is a poor copy I tried to make of the inscription. Any help you can provide would be appreciated. Rick
Maybe you can put a paper on it and use pencil or crayon to make a rubbing. Or post a higher resolution photo in better focus if you want to be sure. Although Toritoribe's guess is probably correct.

I would guess some type of dig looking for unmarked graves/landmines/artifacts in 1938 and that was tacked on a post to show a boundary. Maybe the group doing it was made up of Japanese and non-Japanese members so it contains a mixed inscription. Just my guess at it.

Back
Top Bottom