What's new

Convenience store etiquette

twopoint71

後輩
17 May 2022
When I go to the convenience store, I know the clerk is asking if I need a bag, have a bag, or want to purchase a bag. It's a little noisy and there's a plexiglass divider, so I can hardly hear what they say. Can anyone shed some light on what they're asking/saying? And maybe what the proper response might be if I have a bag, need to buy a bag, or don't need a bag.

Thanks!
Bob

You got it right. They are most likely asking if you need a bag or not. I would say;

if you have a bag/you don't need a bag: 大丈夫です Daijōbu desu or 要らないです Iranai desu

if you need to buy a bag: お願いします Onegaishimasu or ください Kudasai.

They're probably asking 袋はご利用ですか fukuro wa go-riyou desu ka? (will you be using a bag?) or 袋(は)要りますか fukuro (wa) irimasu ka? (do you need a bag?)

The keyword you're listening for is fukuro (袋 / ふくろ), bag.

The bag indicates the items were purchased, so if you say no they might ask if it's ok to mark your purchased items with bits of tape: テープを貼っていいですか tēpu o hatte ii desu ka? (may I apply some tape?)

They might also ask レシートは大丈夫ですか reshiito wa daijoubu desu ka? This literally means "Is the receipt ok?" but translates to "do you want/need the receipt?" You can respond with the same phrases Toritoribe gave above.

This guy makes great videos of daily conversation stuff and includes multiple caption sets so it's good listening and reading practice. I recommend subscribing to his channel. Here's his video for a conbini run:

I also found this video, which breaks down a few common conbini phrases to listen for.

You can use sono mama de ii desu (そのままでいいです) to indicate that you don't need a bag or chopsticks before staff ask you.

What you'll be asked too is OK botan wo oshite kudasai (OKボタンを押してください, "please press the OK button") in case you purchase alcohol or to select and confirm a payment method.

And one more thing: when you buy a bento box staff will ask you whether you want it microwaved: Obento atatamemasu ka? (お弁当温めますか).

@nice gaijin, thanks, that's pretty much what I was looking for. ふくろ (fukuro)I started to remember to bring bags as they charge about 5円 per bag.

@Toritoribe those are good replies. I keep forgetting how universal だいじょぶ (daijoubu) is as a word.

@thomas I haven't purchased alcohol yet, but I'll keep that in mind in case I have to get whiskey.

Back
Top Bottom