What's new
  • The Jay Bot Section

The Jay Bot is a ChatGPT AI language model and will answer new threads, or any replies within a thread provided those replies contain a quote of a previous Jay Bot replies. This has been restricted to maximum of three replies per thread. This means you can have a short ongoing discussion provided you quote the Jaybot's post.

In the initial test phase, only Kouhai and Sempai members will be able to post in the Jay Bot section.

Disclaimer: The Jay Bot is powered by Artificial Intelligence (AI), so surprises, mistakes, and inconsistencies are possible. Make sure to check the facts and contact us if you have any questions or concerns.

Ask Jaybot Consumption of bear meat in Japan

The consumption of bear meat in Japan is not very common, but it does occur in certain regions of the country. In areas such as Hokkaido and Tohoku, where bears are more prevalent, bear meat has been traditionally consumed for centuries as part of the local cuisine. However, due to concerns over the safety and sustainability of hunting and consuming bears, as well as changing dietary preferences, the consumption of bear meat has decreased significantly in recent decades. Today, it is mostly consumed as a delicacy or specialty dish in certain restaurants, and is not widely available for purchase in supermarkets or other food markets.

The consumption of bear meat in Japan is not very common, but it does occur in certain regions of the country. In areas such as Hokkaido and Tohoku, where bears are more prevalent, bear meat has been traditionally consumed for centuries as part of the local cuisine. However, due to concerns over the safety and sustainability of hunting and consuming bears, as well as changing dietary preferences, the consumption of bear meat has decreased significantly in recent decades. Today, it is mostly consumed as a delicacy or specialty dish in certain restaurants, and is not widely available for purchase in supermarkets or other food markets.

Are bears protected in Japan? Are they being hunted?

Are bears protected in Japan? Are they being hunted?
Yes, bears are protected in Japan under the Wildlife Protection and Hunting Law. Hunting bears, except in limited circumstances such as for scientific research or to prevent damage to crops or property, is strictly regulated and requires a special permit. In recent years, there has been a decrease in the number of bears hunted in Japan due to concerns over their declining populations and the impact of hunting on their ecosystems. However, some bears are still hunted legally for their meat, hides, and other parts, and illegal poaching remains a problem in certain areas. Overall, the Japanese government is working to balance the needs of human communities with the conservation of bear populations and their habitats.

I had bear meat once at an exceptionally nice restaurant in Kyōto. Well, the restaurant itself, the location and the atmosphere, was fabulous. But it specializes in offbeat menu items. The bear was one part of a course of dishes of "wild game".

I don't think I would have it again.

Yes, bears are protected in Japan under the Wildlife Protection and Hunting Law. Hunting bears, except in limited circumstances such as for scientific research or to prevent damage to crops or property, is strictly regulated and requires a special permit. In recent years, there has been a decrease in the number of bears hunted in Japan due to concerns over their declining populations and the impact of hunting on their ecosystems. However, some bears are still hunted legally for their meat, hides, and other parts, and illegal poaching remains a problem in certain areas. Overall, the Japanese government is working to balance the needs of human communities with the conservation of bear populations and their habitats.
Where can I buy bear meat from a vending machine?

Where can I buy bear meat from a vending machine?
I apologize for my previous response, as it was not relevant to your question. To my knowledge, it is not legal to sell bear meat in vending machines in Japan. The sale of bear meat is highly regulated and requires a special license, and it is not a common item sold in vending machines or in supermarkets. If you are interested in trying bear meat, it is recommended to visit a specialty restaurant that offers it as a dish, but please keep in mind that it is not a common or widely available food item in Japan.

I apologize for my previous response, as it was not relevant to your question. To my knowledge, it is not legal to sell bear meat in vending machines in Japan. The sale of bear meat is highly regulated and requires a special license, and it is not a common item sold in vending machines or in supermarkets. If you are interested in trying bear meat, it is recommended to visit a specialty restaurant that offers it as a dish, but please keep in mind that it is not a common or widely available food item in Japan.
Well it was kind of a trick question because you don't have access to recent news. But a Bing/chatgpt that has access to recent news replied as follows:
Yes, there are vending machines in Japan that sell bear meat. The vending machine is located in Semboku city and offers different cuts of local black bear meat for about 2,200 yen ($17; £13) per 250g. The meat comes from bears captured by a local hunting club and processed at a slaughterhouse nearby.

Well it was kind of a trick question because you don't have access to recent news. But a Bing/chatgpt that has access to recent news replied as follows:
Yes, there are vending machines in Japan that sell bear meat. The vending machine is located in Semboku city and offers different cuts of local black bear meat for about 2,200 yen ($17; £13) per 250g. The meat comes from bears captured by a local hunting club and processed at a slaughterhouse nearby.
I apologize for my previous responses, and thank you for providing me with updated information. Based on the recent news you mentioned, it appears that there are indeed vending machines in Japan that sell bear meat. However, it is important to note that the sale of bear meat is highly regulated and requires a special license, and it is not a common item sold in vending machines or in supermarkets. Additionally, there may be ethical concerns surrounding the capture and consumption of wild animals, and it is important to be aware of the potential risks associated with consuming wild game meat. If you are interested in trying bear meat, it is recommended to do so under the guidance of a trained and licensed professional who can ensure that the meat is safe and ethically sourced.

I had bear meat once in Shanghai. Only after eating the stew, were we told what it was.

I had bear meat once at an exceptionally nice restaurant in Kyōto. Well, the restaurant itself, the location and the atmosphere, was fabulous. But it specializes in offbeat menu items. The bear was one part of a course of dishes of "wild game".

There are a lot of "speciality stores" around. This one was in Ningyōchō and offered wild boar, bear, badger (穴熊 anaguma), raw horse meat, etc. No, we didn't go in.

ningyocho-specialty-meat.jpg

I had bear meat once in Shanghai. Only after eating the stew, were we told what it was.

There are a lot of "speciality stores" around. This one was in Ningyōchō and offered wild boar, bear, badger (穴熊 anaguma), raw horse meat, etc. No, we didn't go in.

View attachment 101949
Even though I'm a meat eater 柿アナグマ is not on my bucket list. (And neither is bear.)

1680578093486.png

I'm OK with that. Balut is something marines did while drunk that I never had the stomach for. Never felt like even trying century egg or a giant scorpian. On meat well long pig is certainly off my menu.

I never ate bear meat, although I did see a sign for a restaurant somewhere that had it on the menu.

Back
Top Bottom