What's new

Congratulations, johnnyG

Mike Cash

骨も命も皆此の土地に埋めよう
15 Mar 2002
Congratulations to our friend @johnnyG on his upcoming retirement and may it be a long, happy, and healthy one during which you do precisely as much or as little as you damned well please.

Thanks Mike & Thomas. I'm still moving out of my office, and that--moving out--is one challenge. The other is finding places for it all at home. I'm trying to trash as much as possible, but some things will be sorted later without a time deadline. Work/teaching is one thing (and I've always enjoyed students/new faces), but my office has been my man-cave, and I'm sure I'll miss that space. (A retired friend rented a small apt for an 'office' but I'm going to skip that.

I've discovered some books have value on the net, and eventually might list them on yahoo auction or something. (At the top end, I have a pristine copy of this, and the cover is finished in leather.) Some Disney reference things, too--large format, full color, that appear to have some value.

My wife is also a prof, and if she stays till 65, too, that'll be six years from now (tho we've discussed her leaving earlier). So I'll be retiring in place, house-husbanding it, and hopefully some cycling (and other phys. activity), photography, music, and so on--maybe even some volunteer guiding locally. This also means that we won't be all over and in each other's hair for a while. I'd once considered working a term or two "overseas"--china, taiwan, vietnam--but there seems to be an ageism thing (e.g., in china the upper age for a Z visa is 60), and also, due to an accident a while back, my time has become a more valuable thing going forward.

There's been a flurry of paperwork for the transition (almost like getting a new job). A checklist from personnel for things to wrap up at work, setting up the parts of my pension (public/private), some paperwork & bills from the city. And certain things will not happen any more--no monthly pay (pension comes bimonthly, 6/15th will be the first payment), no more bonuses, no more 'research' money. But I also got a severance preview from personnel, and that looks good. I signed up for the JR ジパング倶楽部, which is 20% off for the first three legs, then 30% after that--pretty sweet. Unfortunately, it doesn't extend to inter-island ferries.

One daughter is prego and due in late May, I'll be over with them for a time in June to help. They're close enough to Yabitsu that I'll have to give that a try.

And, I'm open to suggestions/ideas, if anyone would like to offer those! ;)

Last edited:
I have a lot of loafing to catch up on first, but I may intersperse some puttering, just to break the monotony.

Back
Top Bottom