What's new

Computer problems

Lina Inverse

後輩
29 Apr 2004
Looks like it's my turn now at having computer problems 😭
It started some time ago (around October, I think) when some attempts at burning CDs failed for no good reason. At first, I didn't think much of it (but had a strange feeling as my last failed CD burn had been in early spring, and only once).
Then, however, the number of failures increased more and more over time, until shortly ago, it wouldn't work at all anymore :(
I tried all sorts of stuff (which is quite a lot, as I'm quite technically minded), but none of it helped... so eventually, I got a bad premonition that the second Ide channel on my mainboard might be defective. This was underlined by a sudden speed loss, since Windows XP suddenly only could recognize the drive as (quite slow) Pio drive :eek:
So, for a test, I set the CD burner together with the HD on the first Ide channel, and lookit there, it worked again.
So I'll have to get a new mainboard now, and then lots of work exchanging the mainboards, setting up the system anew (which is mandatory upon mainboard change) and all the associated stuff :auch:

Pc Problems Can Sure Make....

life miserable! Hope you get things back to normal Lina. Maybe Santa can bring you some new gear?Good luck! I feel your pain!

Frank

Lina Inverse said:
So I'll have to get a new main board now, and then lots of work exchanging the main boards, setting up the system anew (which is mandatory upon main board change) and all the associated stuff

Well the really fiddly bit is usually the front-panel connectors (the on/off switch for example). I take digital photographs of how it WAS connected - and even though the new motherboard may have a different configuration for the front panel connections I've found that referring to the photos helps me focus on what should TRY to go where. Otherwise, the best recommendation for building a new system is to invest in a decent power drill.

You really shouldn't need to re-install your operating system after a motherboard swap out - but back up to be safe. Personally I've found that upgrading a system that is running multiple boot partitions - such as English and Japanese versions of Windows is more likely to resent the new motherboard. Therefore I always reconfigure the system to just one active partition in those situations. Even then MasterBootRecord (MBR) and HAL.dll file problems are common after changing the motherboard. You can Google those two file names to get possible solutions.

A final word of advice - it sounds like you're running devices on both the primary and secondary IDE channels. Make sure that whatever new motherboard you buy has both channels - many new boards these days just have one IDE channel and are designed with serial ATA drives in mind.

Have you tried to exchange the IDE-cable? If you don't want to buy a new MB consider buying a PCI IDE card ...

Jan

Frank D. White said:
life miserable! Hope you get things back to normal Lina. Maybe Santa can bring you some new gear?Good luck! I feel your pain!
This close to Xmas all presents have been bought already... and besides, I wouldn't want to wait until Xmas to get a properly working PC again, so I'll go tomorrow and play Santa for myself in getting myself a new one. Guess I'll combine this with a system upgrade :D

sl0815 said:
Have you tried to exchange the IDE-cable? If you don't want to buy a new MB consider buying a PCI IDE card ...
Sure, as I said I tried all sorts of imaginable stuff (and then some). Ide card is a bad idea, as they aren't cheap either... and as there's still warranty on it (2 years warranty as prescribed here in Germany), I'll just return it and get a new, better one :D

After I got myself a nifty new mainboard (Asus K8n) with a good Cpu (Amd 64 3200+), built together everything again, re-installed the system and started installing all the software again, another problem cropped up as the mouse I had (MS Intellimouse Explorer) decided it would be a good time to kick the bucket :auch:
Well, I've had it for around 2-3 years now, and it was already having problems lately, with the scrollwheel acting strange 😌
So I treated myself to a state-of-the-art Logitech MX Laser 1000 mouse, which really rocks! 👍
After that, pretty much everything is now in working condition again.

Back
Top Bottom