What's new

Compound verbs

TGO

後輩
28 May 2006
konnichiwa! I just read about compound verbs recently, one thing I dun understand is the distinction between Vます + V and Vて + V (V being verb). When should we use one or the other? Can any verb serve as a compound verb so long as it makes sense? Thanks in advance ^^

I depends on the verb being attached. Some go with the Vmasu stem, and some go with the -te form. I think you just have to learn them as you come across them. I don't think you can create your own compound verbs, but there are some verbs that go with others that act like auxiliaries, e.g., hajimeru, dasu, komu, etc.

I see...so there is no distinct rule for that either...thanks alot

Auxiliaries for 'Vte' to get you started are commonly from the below list

aru, iru, kudasai, kureru, morau, ageru, iku, kuru, miru, oku, shimau

The ones with Vmasu stem are easy to look up since they are often listed in dictionary entries as a single compound word (although I think that is technically two Vmasu stem combinations).

There are a few more I could come up with in addition to Glenn's list, but in some cases it depends on your definition of an auxiliary, plus level of politeness being used (formal or casual) can change it from 'te' to 'masu' and in a few instances the meaning turns out to be completely different....So if you have an example, that would help heaps...:)

Back
Top Bottom