What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Coffee-flavored Coke

mdchachi

Reaction score
I just noticed that coffee-flavored Coke finally made it to the US after debuting in Japan in 2018. Is it still (or was it ever) popular in Japan?

1078B427-D49A-44B9-AB42-773F0DC86357.jpeg

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
Reaction score
I didn't even know it existed. It seems it's no longer available: no info on the official websites while all retailers mark it as "currently unavailable".

mdchachi

Reaction score
I didn't even know it existed. It seems it's no longer available: no info on the official websites while all retailers mark it as "currently unavailable".
Not surprising. There's a lot of competition in Japan for coffee drinks and drinks in general.

Lothor

Proofreader extraordinaire
Donor
Reaction score
I think that the idea of these novel drinks is that it's good for manufacturers to keep their R&D staff busy, and even if they will probably be unsuccessful in a crowded drinks market where people often buy the same drinks out of habit, a successful drink will be very profitable. So manufacturers keep making them, the coke affectionados, etc., buy them and interest is generated in the produce, so the manufacturers don't lose much money and they might just get lucky by finding a winning product. I'm sure coffee-flavoured coke was such a product.

mdchachi

Reaction score
I think that the idea of these novel drinks is that it's good for manufacturers to keep their R&D staff busy, and even if they will probably be unsuccessful in a crowded drinks market where people often buy the same drinks out of habit, a successful drink will be very profitable. So manufacturers keep making them, the coke affectionados, etc., buy them and interest is generated in the produce, so the manufacturers don't lose much money and they might just get lucky by finding a winning product. I'm sure coffee-flavoured coke was such a product.
Plus there is a whole market in "new" (recycled) 季節限定 drinks that cycle in and out of the market.

Lothor

Proofreader extraordinaire
Donor
Reaction score
Plus there is a whole market in "new" (recycled) 季節限定 drinks that cycle in and out of the market.
Yes that too. I always wonder why Japanese people don't sick of the tired cash-ins on sakura in spring, etc.

Top Bottom