What's new

Clothing/fashion/art/design schools in Japan?

Chipi

Yancha
10 Mar 2003
I've tried to find some information about clothing/design schools in Japan from the internet, but I've found just one(Musashiro college&university).

I'm dreaming of a studying period in Japan, and the first thing is to find a suitable school. I wonder if there's someone who could help me with this? I have to check if the school is suitable for my education, the costs and so on, but I'd really upreciate some internet addresses and so on.

I have been learning the basics of japanese, but I'm just a beginner. That's why I also think, that I can't participate in education in japanese language, I won't be good enough after just one year.. ;)

I'm thinking, that I'd leave propably(and not before) in may 2004. I don't know how am I going to arrange eveything needed, such as loads of money, but i have decided that I AM going to go, no matter what it takes 🙂

P.S. One option is also a training period working in some clothing industry etc.in Japan. I'm also very interested in some tips around this area..

Here is a link to Osaka Kyoiku University which provides links to hundreds of Japanese educational institutions from several categories. It may or may not be of use to you as some of the links are outdated and most are in Japanese.

Thank you Thomas and Iron Chef for quick help! :)
I think every information I can get will be very useful.
Now I just have to figure out what all that japanese is in english/finnish on those pages.. ;)

ツ、C

konnichiwa!

:( hi everyone! i am planning to study design in japan, but the websites i found are all in japanese! i have only a very minimum of japanese language ability; and i hope to seek help from you all for the suggestions of recognised design schools in japan in english versions for me... please help me! i desperately need a help for this!! arigatougozaimasu!

Wow !!

Yang said:
:( hi everyone! i am planning to study design in japan, but the websites i found are all in japanese! i have only a very minimum of japanese language ability; and i hope to seek help from you all for the suggestions of recognised design schools in japan in english versions for me... please help me! i desperately need a help for this!! arigatougozaimasu!

Planning your career at age 7!! You are a clever one!

Frank

🙂

Yang said:
Many schools in the field don't have English pages. The most well-known fashion design school in Japan is Bunka Fashion College.

Some more info on this thread, some in English:
Fashion Colleges and Universities in Japan

If you really want information, I suggest you manage to find the email addresses and mailing addresses of these schools and ask for information in English. Considering the many international students in such schools, I'm pretty sure you can manage (by the time you turn 17 or 18)! 😊

=)

i am 18 this year! oh i guessed i put the year of my birth date in my profile wrongly! gomen~ any other recognised art colleges in japan? and what are the procedures to go to japan and study? thank you for your suggestion! but i need more! arigatou~~~~~ 😌

hi!

:( i found the Osaka Sogo College of Design very much to my liking, but the website is all in japanese!! can anyone tell me what are the requirements and such to get in there? i would love to email the school for an english version, but apparently there is no email found in there! or maybe too many japanese words... i can't see.. 😌 please help me! i really wish to study in japan! :p

welcome to japan
i heard all they road signs and subway maps are in japanese too
anyway, mouse over the the very last selection at the very bottom of the page and it says "inquiry.html"
it looks like this? "窶堋ィ窶禿「窶堋「ツ坂?。窶堋ケ"
there's the pole and here's a hook get to it good luck and peace

Hello everyone! My name is Jasmine, and just like Chipi, I'd love to study design in Japan. I noticed this is a really old thread so it made me curious: where did you go to study, Chipi, and how is it (or how was it) ?

Hey there, I actually posted over at the Education thread when I noticed this..

From what I heard, Bunka Fashion College is one of the best but does anyone know what sort of courses they offer? Whether it's a diploma or a degree, and whether we can continue to a degree from a diploma from a different country? Right now, my situation is like this: I'm going to go through a three-year diploma course in my country and after that I plan to go further into a degree, but I don't want to start from scratch. If I could I'd like to continue from where I would be leaving off. Is that possible?

Also, I'd like to find out more about the Ueda College of Fashion? The link doesn't work..

Arigatou gozaimasu!

EDIT: I found a link to it already, gomen~ Can't post it here; don't have enough posts to post a link.. :( It's at ucf.jp

Wow, so cool. I am exactly the same at the moment.🙂
Graduated form an vocational art school and now aiming for japan in a year and half. Either to work or to go to art school, but also a little bit too unconfident about my language skills and I doubt I'll get into the schools.
So I was wondering if you are still able to recive this message then please let me know how things went for you. Or perhaps you can eaven help me out a little bit with some tips or something. 😌
Kertu

Hey everyone who once replied to this thread!

Just curious - how did things go for you? Did you manage to get yourselves in Japan to study and how was it?

After this thread (which was ages ago!!) I've been to 2 internships in Japan.
Now I'm in a different school, and again,have the thought of studying some time in Japan. (despite me getting closer and closer to granny age! :D)

Bunka, ahhh, that really would be something. It really is one of the best and I'm dreaming of going there too. BeeBee, do you still need some info on that? I might be able to get some for you if you need.

Hi everyone 🙂

I'm on last year in clothing high school and I really would like to study designing in Japan. Bunka seems to be good school but they want people with JLPT on level 2 (my is on 4 :( ...) Is it possible study in Japan without perfect knowing of Japanese? And does they pay attention on school grades? ^^"

Internship

hey chipi

Read from your post that your did 2 internships in Japan. How is it? I am currently looking for one too in Japan but had a hard time. Could you please let me know which company is that so that i can write in to them. Can you tell me what have u learnt from them? I am so excited about this!

Regards,
Gary

hi everyone,
Hmm, how do i get into a jap fashion school?

Chipi, How did ya get the internship to japan?
:)

Hi Garylim and Pearrl! (and everyone else)

Sorry it's taken soooo long for me to reply to you! I haven't been on this forum a lot, just pop in sometimes, so didn't realize there was a message here... Gomennasai ne... :sorry:

My first step was to find lots of companies I would like to work for - I also contacted the Japan External Trade Organisation in my own country, and they provided me a huge list of companies that match my criteria i.e. clothing&fashion industry. In the end I found my internship another route though, I just bravely took a chance and sent a polite e-mail to a company I admired greatly. After I got a reply to my email, I sent them a more proper portfolio and introductory letter by regular mail. Again waited for their reply, and after their initial approvement sent them some forms etc. to sign and started my visa application procedure. I wasn't paid for my internship, but I still had to have a visa to be able to stay in Japan (you need this even if you're staying less than 90 days and even if you're not getting a salary from your internship). Now THIS can take months so take some time to prepare everything! ;)
I did my work as well as I could, didn't complain about anything, worked overtime sometimes and loved my time there. Hence, I got a good review from them, which I could use to apply for my other internship. The other I got by asking around from my contacts which I've made during the first internship, and by emailing a possible company... and the same story for this one from there onwards, as with the first place i had :)

So my advice is to prepare yourself well, be brave to contact companies directly (yet politely), show that you're interested in them and working in Japan, show flexibility and healthy amount of curiosity!

(If you don't mind I'd rather not publish the names of the places where I worked here. If you're interested please send me a pm instead.)

there are so many design school in Japan, check this list
Study of Photography, School of Art, Tokyo Institut of Technology and Desgin Hanmachi 2-9-5, Nakano-ku, Tokyo, 164, Japan +81-3-3372-1321

Study of Photography, School of Art, Nihon University Asahioka 2-42, Nerima-ku, Tokyo, 176, Japan +81-3-3972-2111

Study of Graphic Design, School of Art, Tama Art College Kinsui 1723, Hachiouji-si, Tokyo, 192-03, Japan +81-426-76-8611

Study of Visual Communication Design, School of Desgin, Musashino Art College Ogawamachi 1-736, Kodaira-si, Tokyo, 187, Japan

Study of Visual Communication Design, Course of Design, Group of Arts, Tsukuba University Tennodai 1-1-1, Sakura-mura, Shinchi-gun, Ibaragi, 305, Japan +81-298-53-2230

Study of Industorial Design, School of Design, Nagaoka Design College Miyazeki-cyo 197, Nagaoka-si, Niigata, 940-21, Japan

Study of Design, School of Desgin, Nagoya Desgin and Art University Aza Nenjyozaka 6004, Ohaza Ohkusa, Komaki-si, Aichi, 485, Japan +81-568-79-1111 +81-568-79-1070

Course of Design, Study of Design, Nagoya Desgin and Art Junior College Aza Nenjyozaka 6004, Ohaza Ohkusa, Komaki-si, Aichi, 485, Japan

Course of Visual Design, Study of Design, School of Art, Kyoto City Art College Oheda Mizukakemachi13-6, Nishikyo-ku, Kyoto, 610-11, Japan

Course of Design, Kyoto Desgin and Art College KitaShirakawa Ubuyama 2-116, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto, 606, Japan

Course of Design, Study of Design, Kyoto Desgin and Art Junior College KitaShirakawa Ubuyama 2-116, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto, 606, Japan

Seika University

Study of Photography, School of Art, Osaka Art College Higasiyama, Kounan-cyo, Minami-Kawachi-gun, Osaka, 585, Japan +81-721-93-3781

Study of Photography, School of Art, Kyusyu Industory University Syokodai 2-327, HIgashi-ku, Fukuoka, 813, Japan +81-92-681-1831

Study of Photography, Kyusyu Industorial Art Junior College

I would like to say that there will be many differences in each and every country you go. The link given was really very nice I mean it was worth to watch them out. It had given me a very knowledge about dressing and fashion in different school. Good work done by you.

Back
Top Bottom