What's new

Citizenship?

Tatsuhiro_Zensu

SNLF Fanatic
9 Aug 2005
People have been talking about paying Income Tax out of Japan, but is it possible to denounce US citizenry and become a Japanese citizen?

I have heard that Americans can NEVER give away their citizenship, and if it is possible to have 2 ... that I don't know. and to get a Japanese citizenship you should be living in Japan for at least 5 years I believe.

best thing would be to inform at the Japan consult in the states, and your cityhall.

Dutch Baka said:
I have heard that Americans can NEVER give away their citizenship, and if it is possible to have 2 ... that I don't know. and to get a Japanese citizenship you should be living in Japan for at least 5 years I believe.

best thing would be to inform at the Japan consult in the states, and your cityhall.

Yes, Americans can renounce their citizenship. Arudou Debito did that. Also, as far as I know, Japan forbids dual citizenship.

By a Japanese law
Naturalization) (Kika)
ツ(窶ケA窶ーツサツ)
Article 4
窶佚ヲ4ツ湘ー Article 4. A person who is not a Japanese national (hereinafter referred to as "an alien") may acquire Japanese nationality by naturalization.
窶愿コ窶怒ツ坂?倪?督ッ窶堙??堙遺?堋「ナステ陳(ヒ?遺?ーツコツ「ナ?Oツ坂?伉人ツ」窶堙??堋「窶堋、ツ。ツ)窶堙債、窶ケA窶ーツサ窶堙俄?堙ヲ窶堙≫?堙?、窶愿コ窶怒窶堙個坂?伉静絶?堙ーナステヲ窶慊セ窶堋キ窶堙ゥ窶堋ア窶堙??堋ェ窶堙??堋ォ窶堙ゥツ。
2 The permission of the Minister of Justice shall be obtained for naturalization.
窶ケA窶ーツサ窶堙ー窶堋キ窶堙ゥ窶堙俄?堙債、窶邸窶督ア窶佚・ツ臣窶堙娯?ケ窶凪?ーテや?堙ー窶慊セ窶堙遺?堋ッ窶堙ェ窶堙寂?堙遺?堙ァ窶堙遺?堋「ツ。
Article 5
窶佚ヲ5ツ湘ー The Minister of Justice shall not permit the naturalization of an alien unless s/he fulfills all of the following conditions:
窶邸窶督ア窶佚・ツ臣窶堙債、ナスナク窶堙個湘ーナ陳鞘?堙ー窶敕オ窶堋ヲ窶堙ゥナ?Oツ坂?伉人窶堙??堙遺?堋ッ窶堙ェ窶堙篠、窶堋サ窶堙娯?ケA窶ーツサ窶堙ー窶ケ窶凪?ーテや?堋キ窶堙ゥ窶堋ア窶堙??堋ェ窶堙??堋ォ窶堙遺?堋「ツ。
(1) that he or she has domiciled in Japan for five years or more consecutively;
ヒ?ク窶堋ォ窶伉ア窶堋ォナ津懌?扼ヒ?按湘」窶愿コ窶怒窶堙可住ツ焦?窶堙ー窶猫窶堋キ窶堙ゥ窶堋ア窶堙
(2) that he or she is twenty years of age or more and of full capacity according to the law of her/his home country;
窶愿アツ十ツ催射?按湘」窶堙??怒ツ坂?倪?邸窶堙俄?堙ヲ窶堙≫?堙??拿窶氾坂?堙ー窶猫窶堋キ窶堙ゥ窶堋ア窶堙
(3) that he or she is of upright conduct;
窶惑ツ行窶堋ェ窶榔窶氾??堙??堋?窶堙ゥ窶堋ア窶堙
(4) that s/he is able to secure a livelihood by one's own property or ability, or those of one's spouse or other relatives with whom one lives on common living expenses;
ナスツゥナ津遺?凪?昶?堙債青カナ致窶堙ーヒ?ェ窶堙俄?堋キ窶堙ゥ窶掏窶ケテエナステ停?堋サ窶堙娯?伉シ窶堙個親窶伉ー窶堙固ス窶佛スY窶凪?昶?堙坂?ケZ窶拿窶堙俄?堙ヲ窶堙≫?堙?青カナ致窶堙ー窶ーc窶堙樞?堋ア窶堙??堋ェ窶堙??堋ォ窶堙ゥ窶堋ア窶堙?。
(5) that s/he has no nationality, or the acquisition of Japanese nationality will result in the loss of foreign nationality;
ツ坂?伉静絶?堙ー窶猫窶堋ケ窶堋クツ、窶凪?昶?堙坂?愿コ窶怒窶堙個坂?伉静絶?堙固ステヲ窶慊セ窶堙俄?堙ヲ窶堙≫?堙??堋サ窶堙個坂?伉静絶?堙ーナスツク窶堋、窶堙冷?堋ォ窶堋ア窶堙?。
(6) that s/he has never plotted or advocated, or formed or belonged to a political party or other organization which has plotted or advocated the overthrow of the Constitution of Japan or the Government existing thereunder, since the enforcement of the Constitution of Japan.
窶愿コ窶怒ツ坂?佛停?コ窶邸ナス{ツ工窶堙娯?愿コヒ?闇津」窶堙俄?堋ィ窶堋「窶堙?、窶愿コ窶怒ツ坂?佛停?コ窶邸窶凪?昶?堙坂?堋サ窶堙娯?ーツコ窶堙可青ャ窶板ァ窶堋オ窶堋スツ青ュ窶「{窶堙ー窶貼窶氾坂?堙??挧窶ーテウ窶堋キ窶堙ゥ窶堋ア窶堙??堙ーナ?テゥ窶堙?、ナステ。窶堋オ窶堋ュ窶堙債、ナステ・窶卍」窶堋オツ、窶凪?昶?堙坂?堋ア窶堙ェ窶堙ーナ?テゥ窶堙?、ナステ。窶堋オ窶堋ュ窶堙最ステ・窶卍」窶堋キ窶堙ゥツ青ュ窶怡窶堋サ窶堙娯?伉シ窶堙娯?冂窶佚娯?堙ーナ停?ケツ青ャ窶堋オツ、ナステ。窶堋オ窶堋ュ窶堙坂?堋ア窶堙ェ窶堙俄?ーテ≫?愿シ窶堋オ窶堋ス窶堋ア窶堙??堋ェ窶堙遺?堋「ツ人ツ。
2 When an alien is, regardless of his or her intention, unable to deprive herself/himself of her/his current nationality, the Minister of Justice may permit the naturalization of the alien, notwithstanding that the alien does not fulfill the conditions set forth in item (5) of the preceding paragraph, if the Minister of Justice finds exceptional circumstances in her/his family relationship with a Japanese national, or other circumstances.
窶邸窶督ア窶佚・ツ臣窶堙債、ナ?Oツ坂?伉人窶堋ェ窶堋サ窶堙戸?毒スv窶堙俄?堋ゥ窶堋ゥ窶堙ュ窶堙ァ窶堋ク窶堋サ窶堙個坂?伉静絶?堙ーナスツク窶堋、窶堋ア窶堙??堋ェ窶堙??堋ォ窶堙遺?堋「ツ湘ェツ坂?。窶堙俄?堋ィ窶堋「窶堙?、窶愿コ窶怒ツ坂?倪?督ッ窶堙??堙個親窶伉ーナ?テ滅淡窶凪?昶?堙坂?ケツォ窶ケテカ窶堙俄?堙や?堋ォ窶愿≫?「テ岩?堙固ス窶督湘ョ窶堋ェ窶堋?窶堙ゥ窶堙??戳窶堙溪?堙ゥ窶堙??堋ォ窶堙債、窶堋サ窶堙固ステ停?堋ェ窶楼ツ坂ぎ窶佚ヲナ津慊坂??窶堙嫁断窶堋ー窶堙ゥツ湘ーナ陳鞘?堙ー窶敕オ窶堋ヲ窶堙遺?堋「窶堙??堋ォ窶堙??堙?ツ、窶ケA窶ーツサ窶堙ー窶ケ窶凪?ーテや?堋キ窶堙ゥ窶堋ア窶堙??堋ェ窶堙??堋ォ窶堙ゥツ。
http://info.pref.fukui.jp/kokusai/tagengo1/html_e/konnatoki/5kekkon/c_hou/hou.html

Tatsuhiro_Zensu said:
People have been talking about paying Income Tax out of Japan, but is it possible to denounce US citizenry and become a Japanese citizen?

The answer is yes, but just doing the former won't automatically lead to the latter.

Becoming a Japanese citizen is... close to impossible. You need something to offer more than being white, and married to a Japanese. Also not worth it if you ask me. Currently only tax above $80k a year is taxable in the US (even though you still have to file). Also, your Japanese taxes are write-offs. Get a good CPA, and it's not nearly as bad as you'd think. It's not like you get completely double-taxed.

As for the Japanese dual-citizenship thing. Technically, they don't allow it, even for people born with it. At the age of 20, they require you to choose one, giving up the other. Of course there are many people that just don't bother to tell them, and simply travel on one passport.

Here is a hypothetical question...
How does it work if lets say, a Japanese couple moves to the USA, and has a child there (which equals automatic US citizenship for the child), but then moves back to Japan? Is the child allowed to get a Japanese citizenship, or no?

Also, another question, but it doesn't really relate to Japan...

what would happen if you were born in Antarctica for some reason? technically it would mean you would have no nationality I guess, so would it fulfill this (5) that s/he has no nationality, or the acquisition of Japanese nationality will result in the loss of foreign nationality;
ツ坂?伉静絶?堙ー窶猫窶堋ケ窶堋クツ、窶凪?昶?堙坂?愿コ窶怒窶堙個坂?伉静絶?堙固ステヲ窶慊セ窶堙俄?堙ヲ窶堙≫?堙??堋サ窶堙個坂?伉静 窶堙ーナスツク窶堋、窶堙冷?堋ォ窶堋ア窶堙?。
restriction?

zeroyon said:
Here is a hypothetical question...
How does it work if lets say, a Japanese couple moves to the USA, and has a child there (which equals automatic US citizenship for the child), but then moves back to Japan? Is the child allowed to get a Japanese citizenship, or no?
Also, another question, but it doesn't really relate to Japan...
what would happen if you were born in Antarctica for some reason? technically it would mean you would have no nationality I guess, so would it fulfill this (5) that s/he has no nationality, or the acquisition of Japanese nationality will result in the loss of foreign nationality;
ツ坂?伉静絶?堙ー窶猫窶堋ケ窶堋クツ、窶凪?昶?堙坂?愿コ窶怒窶堙個坂?伉静絶?堙固ステヲ窶慊セ窶堙俄?堙ヲ窶堙≫?堙??堋サ窶堙個坂?伉静 窶堙ーナスツク窶堋、窶堙冷?堋ォ窶堋ア窶堙?。
restriction?
Not all countries in the world designate nationality by the "place of birth." Japanese nationality is based on fraternal parentage, that is, if you are born to a father who is Japanese, regardless of where you are born in this world. Note also that "fraternal parentage" restriction is slowly being relaxed, granting Japanese citizenship to babies born to Japanese mothers (if the father is unknown or missing). So, a Japanese born in the US or any other country that grants citizenship based on territory has dual citizenship.

The Antarctica question is therefore more complicated than that, because it will depend on who the parents are. :eek:

My middle son Timothy was born in the USA, and now playing in a major rock band...no,....JOKE.....

No, actually he was born there, and we didn't register it with the Japanese embassy in Atlanta (the closest one) so we had to do some not so involved paper work when we got back, but now he has both an American passport and a Japanese one. In other words, he's on track for Japanese citizenship.

I want to be a world citizen.

I wonder what type of life you've led if by fifteen years of age you've decided that it's in your best interest to renounce your US citizenship...

technically it would mean you would have no nationality I guess

Children born to one American parents are automatically granted American citizenship. Children born in America (even to foreign parents) are also automatically granted US citizenship. I work with a German guy, whose wife is Japanese. They moved here from Tokyo w/ the company. Their son who is not even a year old, has 3 passports.

sorry, guys I know this is off topic, but I'm an American born Chinese so I have American citizenship but my family migrated to Australia when I was 2 so I also have Australian citizenship, does America allow me to have dual citizenship? meaning I can still keep my Australian one?

thanks, I know this is kinda off topic

eric said:
sorry, guys I know this is off topic, but I'm an American born Chinese so I have American citizenship but my family migrated to Australia when I was 2 so I also have Australian citizenship, does America allow me to have dual citizenship? meaning I can still keep my Australian one?
thanks, I know this is kinda off topic

to my knowledge, yes they will let you keep both your Austrailian and US citizenship. I was born in the USA and then obtained Canadian citizenship after living there a while and applying, and I am allowed to keep both my Canadian and American passport.

Back
Top Bottom