What's new

Cigars in Tokyo

Hey! What is going on? This thread was about where to find cigars in Tokyo. If you guys want to engage in a row over use of tobacco, I suggest that you find somewhere else to do it. Tomotomo allready got some good advise. I tried to help even though I am a asthmatic non-smoker. If anyone else has anything to add, I suggest that you all try to keep the good and humoristic tone which we usually keep here at Jref.

You haven't touched a nerve with me, I think anytime tobacco is mentioned the corresponding discussion on addiction goes without saying. The facts on this are fairly universally accepted, as the research on nicotine has been available since the late 1800's early 1900's. Exactly what nerve got touched and how isn't entirely clear to me either.

Groucho Marx died at 86 and George Burns died at 100. Whether Castro (currently 81) is still above room temperature is largely a matter of conjecture at this point.

Of all those old men you saw smoking through their tracheotomies (not "emphecema holes"), how many did you poll on their mode of partaking? It is a pretty sure bet that few or none of them were pipe or cigar smokers. How many were holding pipes or cigars up to their tracheotomies?

I don't take exception to your well-intentioned approbation in favor of moderation. I merely take exception to your uninformed observation that all forms are highly habit forming. With how many forms do you have personal experience?

We're all properly impressed that you have a Japanese Wife, by the way.

@BK:

Yes, we're disagreeing on wording. Basically on the point that the different forms in which tobacco products appear each have their own relative degree of addictiveness...much of which is most relevant as applied to cigarettes and "smokeless" tobacco such as is sold in little round cans, both of which are subject to manipulation of their nicotine content during the manufacturing process.

I have been using tobacco products for 28 years, eschewing them only in the form of cigarettes, which I look down upon as the poorest method of enjoying tobacco and consider to be nothing but a nicotine delivery system. We all know about cigarette smokers and their almost universal trait of having as their first act upon waking in the morning to reflexively reach out for their pack of coffin nails in search of a "fix".

I can honestly say the only time I have ever experienced that was over 20 years ago when I used Skoal and Copenhagen. You want to talk addictive...Copenhagen will make you fiend for a fix like you wouldn't believe. I recognized that disagreeable attribute and promptly quit that form.

Even today, after more than a quarter-century of use, I can honestly say that each and every time I partake of tobacco it is a voluntary choice to relax and enjoy the tobacco for the sake of enjoying the tobacco. I experience no nicotine cravings whatsover and it bothers me not in the slightest to go days on end with neither using nor thinking about using tobacco. I most typically use tobacco at work. When at home on the weekends or, for example, the recent week-long Obon holidays I don't use tobacco at all. And, as I mentioned, neither do I have a nicotine deprivation induced craving for it during those times. Doesn't even cross my mind.

So as non-users, which you both seem to be, please don't attempt to tell someone who is intimately familiar with tobacco through prolonged personal experience with 1) cigars 2) pipes 3) looseleaf 4) plug 5) twist 6) dip 7) snuff that because they all contain nicotine they are all equally addictive. It just is not the case.

We're all properly impressed that you have a Japanese Wife, by the way.
Wow, I did not know that people would get impressed! I am also married to a Japanese. ☝

I used to smoke, but I stopped - not due to barinwash, but my own free will. Anyway, I can get tempted by a good Cuban cigar. When smoking cigars, it it simply impossible to inhale - if you do you'll turn green! However, I find that the problems regarding passive smokers is possibly more serious when smoking cigars than cigarettes.

Threfore, I would never tell anyone that anyone should stop enjoying a good cigar. On the other hand: please try to show consideration when you smoke!
:smoke::gulp::romance:🧑‍🎤🕺

Wow, I did not know that people would get impressed! I am also married to a Japanese. ☝
I too have a Japanese wife.

Mike cash, please refrain from misspelling "emphysema".

Mike cash, regarding your tobacco issues, the first step towards recovery is recognising your problem.

All the best.

Arthur.

Paul, are you by any chance a crazy extreme religionist?
It is non of your business whether or not people want to smoke or not.

And also, it is very immoral to use phrases like 'My Japanese Wife would...'. This shows that you cannot fight your own arguments.
Also, I think everyone in the English speaking world can read... They have all seen signs saying 'Smoking kills'. Also, they were probably educated on it themselves at high school.

Please, keep your comments to yourself. Nobody is perfect.

For example, what would you say if I said I love killing animals for the fun of it? It is the truth, and I'll be damned if I, or anyone here, gives a damn about your opinions. This is your first day on the forum, and you are already telling people as if you know best. Please, just keep your mouth closed and perhaps help people, rather than discourage them.

I demand to know your age. I can be sure as hell you are not as old as Mike Cash or Mars Man, and yet you tell them things as if you are the wisest person in the world.

Just, please refrain from posting and take that HUGE, 200 inch stick out of your backside.

"Arthur" indicates that he's a she, but has a Japanese wife. What does that say?

I too have a Japanese wife.

Mike Cash, please refrain from misspelling "emphysema".

I copied the spelling from your fellow troll, hence the quotation marks.

Mike Cash, regarding your tobacco issues, the first step towards recovery is recognising your problem.

Arthur.

Interesting how I did such a good job of outlining my "problem" without recognizing it.

Paul, are you by any chance a crazy extreme religionist?
...I demand to know your age.
...take that HUGE, 200 inch stick out of your backside.

Young man, you appear to be stalking me. I'll ask you, one time only, to stop.

Mike and Anthony, I was, of course, referring to the vernacular by which the medical profession refers to tracheotomies. I must have been tired after a long day of teaching at a University and forgotten the spelling. Never mind.

My examples of famous cigar smokers were not intended to illustrate that cigars will kill you (that fact is so widely accepted as to make any debate redundant), but rather how addictive they are. Long term smokers such as these are living proof of this. Your own admission, Mike, that you have been smoking for 25 years seems to back me up on this one.

Last edited:
Please refrain from personal attacks on this forum, otherwise I have no other opion then giving out infractions, or worse.

I suggest everyone takes a nice cigar, relax, and go back to the topic!

Cigars in Tokyo/Japan. :eek:

I am not a big fan of cigars, but my friend Trev said you can use them to make marajuana cigarettes. Is this true?

I am not a big fan of cigars, but my friend Trev said you can use them to make marajuana cigarettes. Is this true?
Marijuana is a controlled substance in Japan (i.e., illegal), so it's a moot point. You should know this, and if you didn't, now you do.

Yes indeed, Mikawa. Only today I saw in the news someone was arrested for possession of this dangerous drug. It is definitely in your best interests to stay away from illegal drugs in Japan.

Marijuana is a controlled substance in Japan (i.e., illegal), so it's a moot point. You should know this, and if you didn't, now you do.

Mikawa, thank you. I did know that it is illegal, though i assumed that since most of us are from other countries you may know some gang members that do "take the pot"
I am sorry if i offended anyone, it was an innocent question. I dont "take the pot" but i have heard it is common among the young people.

But, is it true you can get "high" from cigars?

You can become 'light headed' from smoking simply because the introduction of chemicals and smoke into the body can retard mental function. Beyond that, I have heard that some cigars develop a certain fungus or moss that when smoked can produce slightly euphoric feelings.

Some people use the tobacco leaf skin of cigars to roll their marijuana in. In music and marijuana culture this is called a 'blunt'. American hiphop/rap music is littered with references to smoking and 'hitting' the blunt. Why anyone would want to sacrafice a fine cuban cigar like that is beyond me, however.

Japan has a very strict drug policy, and while I don't disagree with it I will say that countries like Canada and the Scandanavian regions who don't demonize marijuana to the same degree have not suffered any ill-effects.

Well gentlemen, and I would surely think that I would have Mikawa Ossan's agreement here, I think this thread needs to go back on track, and leave room for those who are trying to locate shops in Tokyo area.

Any other subject matter related to tobacco or other materials should be on another thread in the Chit Chat and Misc. forum. MM

I got the cigars!!!

Hi, guys!

Finally,
I got the cigars(Montecristo and Romeo) from 40% off +tax Cigar Direct.

It arrived in good condition (storing and keeping cigars in good condition)
The cigars seem fine!

Regarding tax, I only paid less than 500 yen.
So it can be still much cheaper than any other cigar shop in Japan.

I have paid 6,600 yen for the cigars and 500 yen for customs duty and tax.
If you buy the same cigars in retail stores, it costs you 11,000 yen at least.
So I saved almost 4,000 Yen!!!

I can recommend all of you the cigar direct now.

You paid tax....not customs duties. Not every shipment of tobacco gets intercepted by customs and assessed duties. Customs duties are approximately 8,000 yen per kilogram. Trust me; you'll know when they snag a shipment, which going by my experience is about one shipment out of ten....so it's an acceptable risk.

I hope you got a humidor, or have at least looked into the coolerdor or tupperdor options. Proper storage of cigars is a very serious issue as they can easily be rendered worthless by careless storage.

@BK

The phenomenon you referred to is known as "bloom" and is something cigar lovers have to carefully watch out for, as mold/fungus and cigar beetle infestations can quickly spread through a humidor and ruin every stick a guy has.

Back
Top Bottom