mintuna

先輩
23 Feb 2006
i don't know how to translate ~なんか、~なんて、~など in english..:(
Here are some sentences...
* 今週は忙しくて、テレビなんか見ている時間はない。
* あなたなんて、私はもう知らない。
* こんな不親切な店など二度と来ない。
mm,, from the sentence, i've made sum conclusions,, -nanka/-nante/-nado are expressing something that is not really important... but i'm not so sure about it.. :p and i don't know exactly how to translate it in english..
anyone? help? :unsure:

Hmm, this is hard. I guess there's no direct answer. "Such a .." or "something like ..." might be close.
Here's my try:
* 今週は忙しくて、テレビなんか見ている時間はない。
"I'm too busy this week to watch things like TV."

* あなたなんて、私はもう知らない。
"Whatever. I don't care anymore."

* こんな不親切な店など二度と来ない。
"I never come again to such a bad restaurant like this!"

I think euske's got it.

Although, I have a feeling that the intention of the second sentence one is "I don't care about/know you anymore"

Geez.. i thought no one would answer my questions..😅 thank's so much for helping me..🙇
anyway, so -nanka,-nante, and -nado are expressing some angry emotions, or when you feel like you don't care about it anymore.. am i right?

i've translated another sentences:
*こんな些細な失敗など気にしてもしかたがない。これから一所懸命がんばって失敗を取り返せばいいのだ。
-->You shouldn't worry about unworthy failure like this. From now on you better try to fix that failure.
(is this right? i feel a bit weird though...)

and for another sentences here,
* A: 日本語が上手ですね。
B: いいえ。私などまだまだですよ。
---> (my translation)
A: You're good in Japanese..
B: That's not true, i'm not that good..
hmm... i think my translations are really bad.. :( but from this sentence, -nado could be also expressing a politeness.. am i right?

mintuna said:
Geez.. i thought no one would answer my questions..😅 thank's so much for helping me..🙇
anyway, so -nanka,-nante, and -nado are expressing some angry emotions, or when you feel like you don't care about it anymore.. am i right? :?
i've translated another sentences:
*こんな些細な失敗など気にしてもしかたがない。これから一所懸命がんばって失敗を取り返せばいいのだ。
-->You shouldn't worry about unworthy failure like this. From now on you better try to fix that failure.
(is this right? i feel a bit weird though...)
and for another sentences here,
* A: 日本語が上手ですね。
B: いいえ。私などまだまだですよ。
---> (my translation)
A: You're good in Japanese..
B: That's not true, i'm not that good..
hmm... i think my translations are really bad.. :( but from this sentence, -nado could be also expressing a politeness.. am i right?
Yes, you are right!👍
"-nado" and the like have the basic meaning of "et cetera" and "all the rest"--which in Japanese is expanded to suggest that the person/object is insignificant vis-a-vis the rest. Therefore, it is used in expressing anger (expression that the person/object is a trivial significance) and in politeness (expression of humility and respect for others, i.e., importance/higher status of the other compared to oneself).

:geek: ああ、そうか.. i understand now.
thanks so much for the explanation, guys..! どうもありがとう...:)

Back
Top Bottom