What's new

Changing from a tourist visa to a spousal visa. Help!!!

INeedhelp

後輩
8 Oct 2009
So I just got married to my beautiful wife, who is a Japanese cititzen, and now I would like to change my tourist visa to a spousal visa.

I have gone through all of the necessary steps to date. I got married, got a copy of the marriage certificate, my spouse's family register, our residence certificate and my alien registration card number. I then went to the immigration office today and they stated that it would take 1-3 months to get my spousal visa and that I couldn't work during that period.

Has anyone else experienced this and is it true that it takes that long and I can't work? I do not want to or can I go 3 months without working. Any help or advice would be so helpful.

So I just got married to my beautiful wife, who is a Japanese cititzen, and now I would like to change my tourist visa to a spousal visa.
I have gone through all of the necessary steps to date. I got married, got a copy of the marriage certificate, my spouse's family register, our residence certificate and my alien registration card number. I then went to the immigration office today and they stated that it would take 1-3 months to get my spousal visa and that I couldn't work during that period.
Has anyone else experienced this and is it true that it takes that long and I can't work? I do not want to or can I go 3 months without working. Any help or advice would be so helpful.
In my experience it should only take a few weeks, they just say that it could take that long to cover themselves.

Mine took a week and a half. Other people I know ranged from 1 and 1/2 to 2 weeks.

In my experience it should only take a few weeks, they just say that it could take that long to cover themselves.

Mine took a week and a half. Other people I know ranged from 1 and 1/2 to 2 weeks.

That is so reassuring to hear. Thank you so much for the quick response.

Visa Woes

Hi. I have lived in Japan for a very long time. What immigration officials told you is true. By Japan's laws you cannot work until your visa status changes. The time they stipulated is also true but it will probably only take a month. If they have decided you are a shady character it will take longer. Bottom line is that it is their country and their rules. If you work on a tourist visa and get caught they will deport you and it will be years before you can apply for any visa. Good news is once you have your visa it is fairly painless to get it renewed and immigration leaves you alone. They expect your wife to look after you. LOL.
If you decide to work, be very careful. Immigration does spot checks on you, calls your home and talks to your neighbors. They may do all of these things or none. Good luck to you. My advise is to tighten your belt and hang in there. By the way, they used to make you leave the country in order to change your visa status. See how lenient they have become. Take care.

Visa Woes 2

They still do in most cases. Spousal visas are one of the few that you don't need to leave the country.
Thanks, I didn't know that spousal visas were one of the few exceptions. I have a PR visa now so I don't pay my friendly neighborhood immigration officials a visit as much as I used to. LOL. In the good old days the first thing I was always told by immigration, "Take your wife and go back to your country where you belong." It gave me such a warm welcome feeling.

Thanks for all the replies. I just wanted to give a quick update. I applied for the spouse visa on Tuesday last week and I received the postcard to pick up my visa on Saturday. I went to the immigration office today and I got myself a spouse visa!!

A lot of stress and worrying for nothing I guess. Good luck to all others!!

My bgirlfriend and I plan to marry in March 2008 when she finishes his PhD. I currently live in the USA with my teaching job and I plan to visit him in March to legally marry at city hall, then I need to return to the USA to finish out my contract until May. I will join her in July or so, but how can I reenter the country? Through a tourist-visa? Can I change status while there? What's the procedure?

My bgirlfriend and I plan to marry in March 2008 when she finishes his PhD. I currently live in the USA with my teaching job and I plan to visit him in March to legally marry at city hall, then I need to return to the USA to finish out my contract until May. I will join her in July or so, but how can I reenter the country? Through a tourist-visa? Can I change status while there? What's the procedure?

And in another thread you say that you're American and live in Tokyo.
And "March 2008"???

Troll!!!

Back
Top Bottom