What's new

Can't stay logged in!

Tokyo-K1

先輩
10 Oct 2005
Hello

I been experiencing this problem where I log onto Jref to participate in the forum, I take my time to read the posts and to type my replies. However because I took such a long time doing this, the site must have logged me off automatically for being idle for too long. Therefore when it came to submitting my post it says I'm not logged in!

I now had to make sure I copied my typed post onto my clipboard and re-paste once I've logged back in again.

Can you help? 😌

What you are experiencing is a common problem; many hours of hard digging, thinking, and writing have been lost as if in a black out. One way to avoid this (in addition to keeping a copy in another window) is to occasionally open another Jref window, and that prevents the automatic log-off by the forum system. I ususally keep a couple open if I am writing something, but that doesn't help me in a black out. Limited, but good within your particular problem. Good luck ! 🙂

I have had this problem too. It's normal on many forums (fora?).

Personally - if I want to make a really looooong post - I will Log off, write my response at my leisure in another program, copy ... then log on and paste.

Especially useful if you want to be really rude to someone ... lurk, log-on, paste and leave ..... ! 🥷

ニ淡ニ停?。ニ停?

if you stay in reply or thread view for too long, say more than 15 minutes, the forum logs you off as idle. theres a longer time limit for forum view.

anyway just open a new window and switch pages every so often to stay logged in. also if you have cookies enabled you shouldnt have to log back in even if you do timeout.

This only happens if your Privacy (cookies) is set to high. If you use Internet explorer, go into Tools > Internet Options > Security, and set it at medium-high. Delete all your cookies once as well.

I'm gald to hear that; since I have never known just what a cookie was except those little things that I love to throw into my mouth. And so maybe that's why I've never been cut off by the forum system. . . even after sitting here for a good long while erasing and re-mispelling those same ole tired words again. But this is good to know, just in case it happens. Thanks.

You could also hit "preview" every few minutes to ensure that you aren't logged off.

I think the easiest way is to write your message, and for safety's sake: press CTRL and C, and if your message vanishes because you have been logged out, then press CTRL and V...EASY! 👍

Miss_apollo7 said:
I think the easiest way is to write your message, and for safety's sake: press CTRL and C, and if your message vanishes because you have been logged out, then press CTRL and V...EASY! 👍
Brilliant ! Why didn't I think of that ?!? 👍
But don't you have to "select" the whole message window first ? How do you do that with the CTRL key combination ?:?

lexico said:
Brilliant ! Why didn't I think of that ?!? 👍
But don't you have to "select" the whole message window first ? How do you do that with the CTRL key combination ?:?

OOPS!! I forgot:
1) First, you press "CTRL +A", (to select whole message)
2) Then "CTRL+C" (to copy message)
3) If you are logged out: You finally press "CTRL +V" (to paste into new message). 🙂 :)

Miss_apollo7 said:
OOPS!! I forgot:
1) First, you press "CTRL +A", (to select whole message)
2) Then "CTRL+C" (to copy message)
3) If you are logged out: You finally press "CTRL +V" (to paste into new message). 🙂 :)
Your excellent advice is much appreciated, Miss Apollo !
Now I can save so much time to devote to writing posts, hehe... 🙂

Miss_apollo7 said:

I always do that with long messages (i.e. most of them). If they are really long, I copy, paste and save them in a notepad to be sure (we never know, a power failure, or temporary connection problem could happen).

Since I don't log in to use the forum this may be an inappropriate comment ;), but I've been getting the "You've Followed an Invalid Link" error message a few times recently after having the reply box open and typing say 15-20 minutes. The really strange thing is, though, although it doesn't take me to the thread, when I submit the post it always ends up going through. If I try to post a duplicate, well once it allowed it and another time not.

Anyone know what could be going on ? I wholeheartedly endorse the saving idea as well btw :)

Last edited:
I've noticed in the replies here people have generally given examples on how to avoid this issue from happening, to those I say thank you.

Yet I also read a post that read;
This only happens if your Privacy (cookies) is set to high. If you use Internet explorer, go into Tools > Internet Options > Security, and set it at medium-high. Delete all your cookies once as well.
20-10-05 12:45

My cookies are already set the the advised level and always have been so this is not a reason.

Could someone from the admin here explain exactly why this occurs, After writing some lengthly posts it gets frustrating to have to re-login to post the reply and in some cases lose tha material written and give up on trying to post.

What technical reason is there for this and isnt a remedy possible by lengthening the time out on the board to lets say 25 minutes?

I'll Drink To That!!!

There is nothing worse then spending a LOT of time typing a post , only to get logged off and lose it. I'm sure JREF suffers many a good thread or post being lost due to this frustrating problem. When you are concentrating on what you are writing, you should not have to spend your time trying NOT to be cut off by JREF. It would be nice if there could be a fix to the problem in the JREF program and not have it be up to the members to find a solution to it. There are very few things about JREF that annoy me, this is NO. 1 on the list for sure!

Uncle Frank

:(

I just copy and paste, then after I get logged off, I log back in to finish my post or keep adding on to it.

It does suck though. You type something long and when it gets erased you don't really want to type again. It can be a huge let down.

But hopefully the problem will be fixed so that I don't have to worry about copying and pasting everything I type.

the technical reason is: if you leave the forum in a manner other than logging out (closing the window, going to a different site) the forum will still count you as online. so after 15 minutes of inactivity you are automaticly logged out.

about the cookies thing, i believe you have to have the "remember me" box checked when you log in for that to work right.

jeisan said:
the technical reason is: if you leave the forum in a manner other than logging out (closing the window, going to a different site) the forum will still count you as online. so after 15 minutes of inactivity you are automaticly logged out.

about the cookies thing, i believe you have to have the "remember me" box checked when you log in for that to work right.

I can be logged on to this site only and in trying to reply to a particular post and hitting the submit reply button I am told that I have to log on to the site.

Jeisan this is not the "technical" reason that this occurs. Your explaination doesnt make sense, it is illogical and from my knowledge of message boards like this, nonsensical. Yet I thank you for "trying" to reply.

However the "time-out" sounds like the technical reason for the automatic log-out.

As a possible correction to this problem, and as I posted earlier, why not change the log out time to 25 minutes or even longer to 30 minutes to allow people more time to write their replies with out this annoyance happening.

Can anyone from the ADMIN here answer this question?

I have read posts that "say" that the admin read the posts but in some cases take time to reply. Why cant the admin here at least recognize that this problem exists and respond accordingly that further action is being considered.

I for one would appreciate being let know that the subject matter in under consideration and not being ignored.

This is not a matter for moderators to be responding to, this is for administrators to act on or reply to. Thank you.

Oh and btw even my typing the reply to this post logged me out in roughly 10 minutes...talk about a pain in the .........

I don't have this problem at all. I have clicked the remember me and I stay logged in. I never log out, just close the window when I am done to leave the net. In fact I forgot to come offline earlier today and was out for 4 hours. When I came back I was still logged into the forum. I did find out a while ago that if the remember me box isn't ticked that it will throw you out after a while.

Mycernius said:
I don't have this problem at all. I have clicked the remember me and I stay logged in. I never log out, just close the window when I am done to leave the net. In fact I forgot to come offline earlier today and was out for 4 hours. When I came back I was still logged into the forum. I did find out a while ago that if the remember me box isn't ticked that it will throw you out after a while.
I don't think that is it either as I have "checked" the same box as well, I appreciate your taking the time to respond with possible solutions.

Hachiro (or anyone else with this problem) are you using IE or another browser? I use IE at work and Firefox or Opera at home. I have never had this problem. Do you have any other spyware removal tools installed? There has to be another setting on your computer or another program causing this. (that is the logical reason).

CC1 said:
Hachiro (or anyone else with this problem) are you using IE or another browser? I use IE at work and Firefox or Opera at home. I have never had this problem. Do you have any other spyware removal tools installed? There has to be another setting on your computer or another program causing this. (that is the logical reason).
I do have 2 different spyware programs as well as anti-virus programs running as well. I will look into that and see if there is a way to change the settings to allow this site "access".
I appreciate the responses that people have made in trying to clear this problem up. Thanks! I got a bit edgy, (and I apologize for that) for a couple of days here because I made some REALLY long replies to a couple of posts and lost them, I forgot copying and pasting and all the other "suggestions" that people had given. I never have this kind of thing happen on a couple of boards that I moderate on and it was very frustrating, almost to the point of saying the heck with it here because of it. I really felt
Brickwallgif-1.jpg
and
FIREdevilgif-1.jpg

It is strange to me that this is the "only" place that this happens.

Back
Top Bottom