What's new

Can I stop with Genki and use these?

wizcoder

後輩
4 Jul 2014
Okay so i've been using Genki but my friend bought me cards from:
Item Store - Japanese Level Up

They are basically the same words from Genki and the explanations are on each card, grammar, why to use something, everything is explained.

I'm asking because is it safe to just switch over and continue learning from just anki decks alone.

Why would you stop with Genki? Since you've already started it, wouldn't it make sense to continue until the end rather than starting over?
Also, do those decks contain anything in the form of exercises like questions to answer and (relatively) long texts to read? If they're nothing more than a list of explanations with short examples I'd personally recommend against them as a primary learning source.

As Lanthas mentions, the issue with flashcards alone is the idea that you can just read about a grammar point and instinctively understand it. Attempting to use it, and checking how you did, is one part of the puzzle. Seeing the grammar point in lots of different contexts (not just the same example on the flash card over and over) is another.

Flashcards are an option for reviewing what you've already learnt, but imo shouldn't be used to learn the material in the first place.

Okay thanks guys, I will use them only after I've completed both genki books.

Use them as an adjunct to Genki, if you like. If this is something you can easily carry with you and take out to flip through at random idle times when it wouldn't be practical to work with Genki I can't see any harm in it. A supplement....not a substitute.

Use them as an adjunct to Genki, if you like. If this is something you can easily carry with you and take out to flip through at random idle times when it wouldn't be practical to work with Genki I can't see any harm in it. A supplement....not a substitute.
Never thought about it that way, will do.

Back
Top Bottom