What's new

calling to Japan from US

robertg

後輩
8 Dec 2004
Hi everybody!

I'll be leaving for Japan in less then 1 month and I need a way for my family to call me while I am over there. What are you using for international calls? I don't want to use my AT&T as it'll cost a fortune... Thanks for the answers!

Hello Robert

Probably the lowest cost that you can have is using a calling card.The rates are good and the denominations are affordable.I got quite a few of them to call my sister in Kyoto and they are working pretty good and I am quite satisfied with the savings.I got them on-line from www.callingcardshome.com (virtual cards sent through email in less than 5 min). I used the web sice I wanted to have the cards right away.
Tell me if it works for you...bye

yup yup i use noblecom as well for international calls. the first time you get a "card" they ring you up to make sure it isnt some credit card fraud thing, when i had to do that it was 10pm and i still got the call within about 15 mins. been using their service for a couple years now, not really any complaints.

Thanks for the answers... This is good news, I'm glad I found a reliable company... I'll try them. THANK YOU!

Don't Forget....

SKYPE ! It works great and it's free. All you need is a set of headphones and a mike. I used it a few times and it's great. I didn't get any extra spam or get bothered in any way after using it. Good luck!

Frank

😊

Who needs to call? Just ask your sister to make sure she has some sort of program on her comp that allows voice chat and do it for free. AIM, YM, MSN, etc. I mean, how many people in or originally from the US don't have/know of at least one of these?

To call Japan from the US, we have been using Vartec 10 10 811 for over a year now, and we have been quite satisfied with the service.

Remember to pay attention to the phone you are planning on using, Japan has some very wierd varieties of phones all over the place.. Can be confusing...

from the usa to anywhere in the world bigzoo (basically a calling card that you sign up for online) is supercheap (www.bigzoo.com i think). not sure about their rates calling from a country other than the usa, but from the usa it's good stuff

I've used my normal A T & T service and tailored it so I can make international calls at $.10/minute. I called Tokyo several times last summer to set up a dinner party and it worked out great for me.

ArmandV said:
I've used my normal A T & T service and tailored it so I can make international calls at $.10/minute. I called Tokyo several times last summer to set up a dinner party and it worked out great for me.
I've had great difficulty the last few days getting through to Tokyo on an AT&T (or IDT) card. Is something going on with the phone lines or network there ? Although it's only one number, so I suppose it could be a local problem into their residence. :?

http://ip-relay.com

this site takes what you type and calls the number you want, then tells them what youre typing. so if you dont mind not hearing your loved ones voices, you can talk to them for free.

What is skype? I have sevral friend sI have been wanting call also and I have a mic and earpice set on my computer.

Bah I thought you could call people's phones at home or cell for free. I guess iw ould get a calling card. Most of my friends are barely on the computer.

Damicci said:
What is skype? I have sevral friend sI have been wanting call also and I have a mic and earpice set on my computer.

Bah I thought you could call people's phones at home or cell for free. I guess iw ould get a calling card. Most of my friends are barely on the computer.

You can sign up for SkypeOut, which lets you call normal phones from your computer. I called my parents and talked over an hour for about 140 yen.

Calling Cards Home is now announcing now the new products offered.

1) A long distance alternative - Enjoy Prepaid.It has the best rates on the market when calling long distance or worldwide.This is a product with a long series of enhancements: PIN free dialling, over 144 originations if you travel abroad, 24/7 customer service via phonecall or email support and many more. If you are interested, please check Enjoy Prepaid .

2) An alternative to Bigzoo - For all the former Bigzoo customers a new product was designed to suit their needs. Check out now the new Bigzoo alternative now!

3) A Best Rates section listing all the low rates offered to almoust every location in the world. Either you are calling your friend next door or across the globe you will find them excellent.

4) Free dialing instructions !

5) A complete and comprehensive FAQ - Calling Cards section that will help you choose the best option for you

Get skype,
You can get an RJ11 Skype plug from ebay for a few dollars if you do good bidding!
So you can connect your phone with the skype network, you can call for free to other skype users that way
If not, you can get SkypeOut so you can call to normal phone lines at VERY low rates!
You can also get SkypeIn so you get an actual phone number, if someone calls that number, your skype or phone (with RJ11 Skype plug) will ring!

I called a friend from Osaka several times with Skype to Skype and it works great! It is like they are right next to us!

digitalwolf said:
Calling Cards Home is now announcing now the new products offered.

1) A long distance alternative - Enjoy Prepaid.It has the best rates on the market when calling long distance or worldwide.This is a product with a long series of enhancements: PIN free dialling, over 144 originations if you travel abroad, 24/7 customer service via phonecall or email support and many more. If you are interested, please check Enjoy Prepaid .

2) An alternative to Bigzoo - For all the former Bigzoo customers a new product was designed to suit their needs. Check out now the new Bigzoo alternative now!

3) A Best Rates section listing all the low rates offered to almoust every location in the world. Either you are calling your friend next door or across the globe you will find them excellent.

4) Free dialing instructions !

5) A complete and comprehensive FAQ - Calling Cards section that will help you choose the best option for you

Why do I find it hard to believe anyone would go to that much effort putting inline links in text unless they had a personal financial interest in it?

Skype is okay, but the quality of signal is often less than optimal on Skype Out calls (computer to land line phones). And to use Skype, you need an internet connection . . . and if that happens to be Yahoo BB, then calling with Yahoo's BBPhone is about the same price as Skype (approx 2.5 yen/one minute) but much better quality.

AIM and the like are okay, too, but have the disadvantage of being computer to computer so the other person has to be online or you cannot reach them (unless you first call on conventional phone to set up the call).

But the best for computer-to-computer has got to be iChat that comes with OS X. 4-way Video chat and it's _very_ cool--I use it all the time and wish everyone had it. It gives "Phoning Home" a whole new meaning. After using iChat, _anything_ else seems, well, so 20th century!

hyogojoe

Back
Top Bottom