What's new

Buying Japanese Antiques To Send Home??

Grandpa Frank

先輩
21 May 2003
Here in America, it is quite common to go looking for bargains in little shops on many types of "old" items. I
was wondering if while in Japan you found some neat "old" Japanese things, how much of a hassel it is to ship things out of the country? Who decides what can leave the country, and what can't? Also, here in the states we have many fradulent copies of old things, how
about in Japan; do they try & fool tourists?
I've always thought a person living in Japan could go to little out-of-the-way towns & villages and buy neat old things very cheap to send home.It would seem a person could make a good living doing this?? BUT, if it was so easy, the country would soon be striped of it's history & culture; and I would see Japanese antiques for sale at Walmart.
Anyway, anyone had experience shipping things home??

Frank

:? :? :? :? :?

This is a question I need answered also as I will be wnating to send a good bit o stuff home also! :)

Do Hotels Help You Ship Things Home ??

playaa said:
This is a question I need answered also as I will be wnating to send a good bit o stuff home also! :)

Do they have UPS, Mail Boxes ETC, Federal Express, in Japan?? Hopefully someone will answer Playaa! If not, when you get there you can find out for me.

Frank

Hey, I'd upreciate that info too!
At least I have a dream of finding and beeing able to buy something nice and genuine...it may be that it will stay as a dream though.. ;)
I'd really want to have a wood-block-painting for myself, and also for my mom & grandma, both artists :)

I want a few hand made swords, a few wall scrolls, and calligraphy paintings. A REAL kimono, hand carved chopsticks? History items from the Edo period, Shoji Screens and lamps.. I could go on forever :p

Yeah...Katana is definitely on my WISHLIST :) ....but on the other side...I'm planning to go live there one day...sooo...just buy it there hehe :D

Frank D. White said:
Do they have UPS, Mail Boxes ETC, Federal Express, in Japan?? Hopefully someone will answer Playaa! If not, when you get there you can find out for me.

Frank

There is FedEx service available in Japan, yes, but I haven't seen anything like a Mailboxes Etc. branch while walking around Tokyo.

[url="http://www.ups.com/]UPS [/url] does not ship certain items, and since one of them is anything that might be dangerous, anyone trying to get that katana out of the country via a shipping service is likely to be out of luck. Shops that specialize in antique swords, though, might have export licenses.

You can also try Japan's Customs site, and see the current list of prohibited, restricted, and controlled items.

..Oh yeahh...I'd certainly want a Katakana too some beautiful day. That would be _sssoo great_... 😍

Back
Top Bottom