What's new

buying a bike

Kyo

後輩
1 Jan 2003
🙂

I thought about buying myself a nice and cheap (motor-)bike, when starting my 1-year working holyday in Japan. Something arround 250ccm.

Is it possible to buy one, as a non-residental gaijin?

How much do you have to pay for tax and insurance?

Is there anything else I have to pay attention to when buying one?

thx

Even on a one year holiday, I believe you will need to get a foreigner registration card. As long as have that you should be able to register and insure a bike. I seem to recall registration costing less than Y5000 and insurance about Y15,000 for six months. I can check my records tonight and let you know for sure.

Originally posted by mdchachi
Even on a one year holiday, I believe you will need to get a foreigner registration card. As long as have that you should be able to register and insure a bike. I seem to recall registration costing less than Y5000 and insurance about Y15,000 for six months. I can check my records tonight and let you know for sure.

I'd appreciate it.
But Y15000 + Y5000 sounds not too expensive. ;)

Any more tips I might need when I purchase a bike?

I窶冦 curious as well; if I have my "P's" short for "Probationary Licence" is possible to get an international licence so I can drive in Japan. You stay on P's for two years in my country and then you are finished and can drive within in speed limit while the highest you can go on P's is 110km/h.

Do you need the 'full' licence to be eligible to drive in Japan?

I think you have to get an international license in your own country of residence.

Peter is right, you have to ask local authorities, as they issue the IDP.

Back
Top Bottom