What's new

British Indian and Pakistani People in Japan

kakarott kash

後輩
28 Aug 2003
Hi, I'm Kash from England. This is my first ever post here, so I'm rather nervous, lol.

Basically, I wanted to know what the Japanese people think of other Asian people, such as Indians and Pakistanis. I was born in England, and my parent was born in Pakistan, I've personally never been there, and I am very westernised as I've lived my whole life in England, I saw a similar thread on Black people and what Japanese thought of them. So I am curious to know if I went to Japan on holiday, would I expect any racists, or will I be just treated like any other foreigner? Also, would Japanese women and girls be interested in me?

I hope you can help

later kash

Welcome Kash! I think foreigners are treated all the same.
But, I am white so, I can't tell you from my perspective.
It's a good culture lesson. 🙂 I hope you can visit sometime.

My god-sister told me Japanese girls normally date Paki~boys to piss off their parents.

I believe you would be treated like any other gaijin; you shouldn't worry about it.

About 10 years ago you used to see middle easterners all over Tokyo selling illegal phone cards. I believe they were mainly Iranians but I'm not positive. Some of them were real scum -- I witnessed 4 or 5 of them with my own eyes circling around a blond college-aged American girl in a crowd just so they could grope her. We had to step in and rescue her. But it brought her to tears and really ruined the day for her -- on her first trip to Japan.
I'm just mentioning this just so you know the kinds of associations that may be in some peoples minds. But I'd be surprised if you saw any overt racism beyond "the usual" kind of stuff all gaijin see (and you might not even see any at all). And yes, I'm sure there are plenty of girls who would like you.

It depends what you want to do. I'm sad to admit it, but there does exist something of an "order of preference" in Japan in relation to skin colour/ethnicity. This is especially true if you want to do something like rent an apartment or do business in Japan. The order is:

1. White Europeans/Americans
2. Other East/South Asians
3. Black/Afro-Caribbean

I've called real estate companies on behalf of friends who do not speak Japanese. Usually one of the first questions asked when a realtor learns the customer is foreign, is the color of skin. This is not usually because the realtor is themself racist, but because they know that if the customer is black, they're going to have a really hard time finding a property owner who will be willing to rent them an apartment.

As someone of Pakistani descent you would come somewhere in the middle. I'm sorry if this is disappointing or makes you angry, but I think it is better to give you an honest view of the situation.

It's also worth mentioning that if you just want to come for a short holiday, you probably won't encounter any problems at all.

Tiger

Thanks for the reply people, i guess your right Tiger, i have also heard about how the japanese do not really like letting forigners buy property. But as im on just thinking of having a holiday it does not concern me much.

As for the race issue, well i suppose you get racist behaviour everywhere in the world to some degree. I know i will do my best to learn the langauge and all the customs of japan before i go (well as much as i can ^_^). And hopefully my time there will be a good one. I do however feel a bit worried but i think thats a natural feeling, I think in England the race issue is more out in the open and there are many communities which live there and have all integrated into the british way of life to some level. I guess there arnt that many forigners in japan compared to england.

oh well peace out and id love to hear more opinions ^^

Originally posted by kakarott Kash
Hi, I'm Kash from England. This is my first ever post here, so I'm rather nervous, lol.

Dude Listen......

I say if you're going on vacation or what have you. You're going there to have fun. That's all.

It's good that you would like to know what The Nice Wonderful Kind Hearted Beautiful Japanese Think about other race. But you know What... WHO Cares!!!!

If you are this worried about it, then there isn't a point going at all......

Don't worry about anything. Just enjoy.

I'm just jealous about you is all you have to be worried about now.

um.. sorry.. i see in this thread words like "paki~boys" and "gaijin". can someone tells me whats the meaning?

Dear friend,

First I am from algeria and I have many asian, white,blacks, latin friends. As a white mediteranean type woman I get along very well with everyone but I notoce latent racism from latin americans and asians toward blacks.

I don't know why but asians and south americans latin dont't realy get along well with blacks. None of my mexican girl friends would like to be with a black male while my white friends often fantasy about black man.How to explain this?

Same for my chinese friends who don't find black man attractif at all.They often prefer asians or white man. So Japan dont have less or more racismt than other asian country.

I notice also that mexicans, central americans(mostly honduras, el salvador) have less tendency to like black man. Maybe this come from the indian mixture of the spanish in those country. Indians have very similar taste as asians, they like white more than black.

Well, it is because often asians hate blacks because some think they are primitave while whites are liked just because of $$$ stereotype it is stupid I know... we should all just get along with one another

dear kash,

hey. im an indian from britain and went on a highschool exchange to osaka not long ago. i felt japanese people liked me much morethan the white guys who came with me, even though i was no better than them in anything (looks, intelligence, *cool*ness, anything...). so if anything, you could say that they liked me because i was indian!! well thats probably not true, but its the only thing that really made me different from the other guys. also, it wasnt just the kids i was popular with, it was their conservative parents too. im pretty sure my experience of japan has been unique going by all the horror stories you hear, but anyway, hopefully you should have a nice time

later
xx

ps-being an indian living in britain means my racism detector is pretty sensitive, so im not just saying all this out of naivety

hi thanks akachan

Makes me feel much better now :)

I think i know ill have a good experience in japan, i like to thank everyones input and thoughts on this subject :)

I cant wait to go to japan now, im thinking of going in march or may next year using this one site called http://www.japantravel.co.uk/sato.htm

has anyone ever used this service from england, if you click this link it tells you the package i want http://www.japantravel.co.uk/16japan/discover.html

any info on this would be amazingly appreciated :)

Originally posted by akachan
dear kash,

hey. im an indian from britain and went on a highschool exchange to osaka not long ago. i felt japanese people liked me much morethan the white guys who came with me, even though i was no better than them in anything (looks, intelligence, *cool*ness, anything...). so if anything, you could say that they liked me because i was indian!! well thats probably not true, but its the only thing that really made me different from the other guys. also, it wasnt just the kids i was popular with, it was their conservative parents too. im pretty sure my experience of japan has been unique going by all the horror stories you hear, but anyway, hopefully you should have a nice time

later
xx

ps-being an indian living in britain means my racism detector is pretty sensitive, so im not just saying all this out of naivety

ooo sounds very good, i know why you succeded tho, cos of your british accent =D i know japanese prefer the british accent to the american accent ! i know my japanese friend says she cant resist my british accent =P

Hello Kash, ill try to help ya find a cheap and decent holiday to japan? Are you planning on going on your own? I think the prices on there ain't too bad. It is fairly cheap !! You can also check out.

which do some good tours but is quite expensive ! or for cheap hotels

http://www.coo.ne.jp/english/ - here are some real cheap hotels. This is where I'll order my next hotel next time i go to Japan.

Obviously, you will have to get your own flight and for the time you are flying around, cheapest i got was USD400, so it is pretty heavy! If you are a full-time student, you would be able to get this cheaper!
But the links you have above do look fairly good, but obviously, it all depends on how long you want to stay in Japan and where you want to go! Tell me more about what you want to do! I'll try to help even further! I hope I have helped ya a bit, kash!

kakarott kash said:
See i was born in England and my parent were born in pakistan, ive personally never been there and I am very westernised as ive lived my whole life in England.

How do you think you would be treated in Pakistan if you went there for a visit? Especially if you speak to everybody in your proper British accent?

Tiger said:
It depends what you want to do. I'm sad to admit it, but there does exist something of an "order of preference" in Japan in relation to skin colour/ethnicity. This is especially true if you want to do something like rent an apartment or do business in Japan. The order is:

1. White Europeans/Americans
2. Other East/South Asians
3. Black/Afro-Caribbean

I've called real estate companies on behalf of friends who do not speak Japanese. Usually one of the first questions asked when a realtor learns the customer is foreign, is the color of skin. This is not usually because the realtor is themself racist, but because they know that if the customer is black, they're going to have a really hard time finding a property owner who will be willing to rent them an apartment.

As someone of Pakistani descent you would come somewhere in the middle. I'm sorry if this is disappointing or makes you angry, but I think it is better to give you an honest view of the situation.

It's also worth mentioning that if you just want to come for a short holiday, you probably won't encounter any problems at all.

Tiger

I think that is wrong, am white but i dont see how i should come first just because of my skin colour.

nunchaku_china_boy said:
Well, it is because often asians hate blacks because some think they are primitave while whites are liked just because of $$$ stereotype it is stupid I know... we should all just get along with one another

It is so easy to say "we should all just get along with one another" but it will never happan. The reason why i say this is because their will always be rascist people in the world. The best thing people can do is to educate their children to not judge someone by their colour of skin.

aliG said:
so japanese women are ******. big deal. tell us something new.

How can u say that, i cant believe you :eek:

am not from japan but still you cant just say japanese women are ****** that is so dis-respectful.

Golgo_13 said:
How do you think you would be treated in Pakistan if you went there for a visit? Especially if you speak to everybody in your proper British accent?

Good point Golgo_13

Hi Kash just randomly came across your post years later but ... was wondering if you did visit Japan and if so how did you find living there?

Back
Top Bottom