What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

News Bribery scandal sparks animal welfare debate

mdchachi

Reaction score
Fortunately we don't have to do our homework when others have. So we don't need to debate what Gandhi meant with regards to something he didn't actually say. :censored:
I have just finished a painstaking search of all 98 volumes of the Collected Works of Mahatma Gandhi that were issued in 1999 by the Publications Division of the Government of India (there are earlier collections with slightly fewer numbered volumes). The collected works contain his speeches, letters, transcriptions of even telegrams, newspaper and magazine articles, prefaces he wrote to other writer's works and so on.

The result of my search is that there is no such quote to be found in any of the 98 volumes!

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
Reaction score
Fortunately we don't have to do our homework when others have. So we don't need to debate what Gandhi meant with regards to something he didn't actually say.

Thanks for the enlightenment! So even if not based on the authority of Gandi, it still holds true. Posterity will judge us by the way we treated animals and the environment. (Not to mention how we treat each other.)

You do realize that virtually all activism these days starts with seemingly innocent videos on YouTube or other social media. Then the next thing that happens is that somebody gets radicalized and people get killed (or refuse to take vaccines). So I'm not going to view that video in case it breaks my willpower.

The "Nutshell" videos ("Kurzgesagt" in their original German title) are all animated, fact-based (with tons of references and links), and aimed at children. Whoever gets radicalised by science, facts, and logic (and topics like astronomy, medicine and biology, futurism, anthropology, and philosophy) should seek medical attention. 🤪

tomoni

Sempai
Donor
Reaction score
Hey Thomas

Can’t have it both ways.

When you use a purported quote from Gandhi because of the moral authority he brings, it is not really about “truth”, but a moral claim.

So even if not based on the authority of Gandi, it still holds true.

I do not know if it was “true” even when attribute to him.

Cheers

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
Reaction score
Can’t have it both ways. When you use a purported quote from Gandhi because of the moral authority he brings, it is not really about “truth”, but a moral claim. I do not know if it was “true” even when attribute to him.

Fair enough. Let me rephrase:

I claim that future generations will hold us responsible for the industrial carnage committed in abattoirs and the blatant disregard for the life and the welfare of other sentient beings.

You can quote that. :)

Uncle Frank

SECURITY
Admin
Reaction score
pol.jpg

The Wall Street newspaper seem to know who the major polluters are. And we know if you see it on the internet , it must be true , LOL.

tomoni

Sempai
Donor
Reaction score

I claim that future generations will hold us responsible for the industrial carnage committed in abattoirs and the blatant disregard for the life and the welfare of other sentient beings.
End quote.

Haha. Fair enough.

mdchachi

Reaction score

You can quote that. :)
They can try to hold us responsible but we’ll be dead so they won’t be successful.

:p

mdchachi

Reaction score
Here's a picture I took three years ago that FB just reminded me about. Made me think of this thread. I would have much preferred one of those anti-fur protests with naked women making their point but oh well this was still interesting to come across.

1634071135187.png

bentenmusume

やれやれ
Contributor
Reaction score
This is an interesting topic and one I've always felt very conflicted about. Speaking generally, I love animals, and it breaks my heart to think of chickens, pigs, etc. being subject to cruelty and inhumane conditions. Going further, I could never kill an animal myself, and if (for example) there was a law that you could only eat meat you killed yourself, I would almost certainly become a vegetarian (or at least a pescatarian) overnight. Personally speaking, I love vegetarian (and vegan) dishes and I think there's some truly delicious stuff out there.

That said, I haven't given up eating meat completely, somewhat against my better conscience, in part because I enjoy good food/drink and don't want to limit my options (if I go to a famous restaurant/izakaya/whatever, I want to enjoy their specialties, and not turn down every other dish because it uses katsuo broth), and because I also do food/drink writing and translation from time to time and I feel like I need to be able to taste/enjoy things for myself to write about them.

For what very little it's probably worth, I try to tell myself I'm at least minimizing the damage by eating zero fast food (which I've never enjoyed anyway), cheaply-produced convenience store meat, etc., and limiting my consumption to ingredients we purchase ourselves, or when eating at independent restaurants where the owners are transparent about where the ingredients come from (and doing so in modest quantities, which isn't really a problem as I'm a very, very light eater).

That said, I have great respect for anyone who's made the decision to go vegetarian or vegan, particularly enlightened types like Thomas and Lothor who don't pass judgment or force their views on others. (I have less love for the militant "death to carnivores!" types ;))

Top Bottom