What's new

body calligraphy art

ryuurui

品天龍涙
17 Jul 2010
Most of you know me from my Chinese and Japanese related posts. Recently I have started a new project, that combines arts of calligraphy and photography. Below is one of my recent pictures. If there is any interest in this I will post more. Also, I am looking for female models in Tokyo / Chiba area, if anyone is interested, please contact me via FB (Ponte Ryuurui), or by replying to this thread, and I will contact you. Cheers!

Text: ツ鞘?氾ゥ窶慷?冷?敕ゥ窶慊ーツ ("woman's body is a temple of secrets / secret temple", depending which was one wishes to go)

dsc09934resise-1.jpg

Did you take this one?
I think its an interesting idea.
My take on is that the main focus is the writing(in the picture); the pose, her expression, the back ground, they don't mix together with me.

Constructive criticism:
Ii get the feeling that shes "stretching out because its hot" with her clothing and pose, but her hand being on her thigh makes it slightly off(it'd make her thigh warm).
I get a "lazy summer/morning" feeling from the background props, but her facial expressions don't match it. A more drowsy(or sleeping expression), and slight off(somewhat downwards) camera look would look nice.
It might also add to a "natural" feeling, if you took some focus off the words to add more focus onto the back ground and model. Try hiding parts of the words under clothing and/or props, try to make it less apparent with poses that obscure or hide bits so that the viewer has to "try and find".

This is me assuming you might want to go with a natural atmosphere, I could be wrong and your trying to go for a more "out-of-place" or "bold, bare, and simple" then ignore what I said. For those I have images in my head but I don't know how to vocalize those (atm).

ryuurui, did You watch Pillow book by Peter Greenaway?
I think that could be interesting for You, however, that in not my kind of movie

Did you take this one?
I think its an interesting idea.
My take on is that the main focus is the writing(in the picture); the pose, her expression, the back ground, they don't mix together with me.
Constructive criticism:
Ii get the feeling that shes "stretching out because its hot" with her clothing and pose, but her hand being on her thigh makes it slightly off(it'd make her thigh warm).
I get a "lazy summer/morning" feeling from the background props, but her facial expressions don't match it. A more drowsy(or sleeping expression), and slight off(somewhat downwards) camera look would look nice.
It might also add to a "natural" feeling, if you took some focus off the words to add more focus onto the back ground and model. Try hiding parts of the words under clothing and/or props, try to make it less apparent with poses that obscure or hide bits so that the viewer has to "try and find".
This is me assuming you might want to go with a natural atmosphere, I could be wrong and your trying to go for a more "out-of-place" or "bold, bare, and simple" then ignore what I said. For those I have images in my head but I don't know how to vocalize those (atm).
Appreciate the ideas, many thanks. Yes, I took it. She looks sleepy as I dragged her out of bed, poor goirl was alseep. Well, the idea was to focus on writing in this particular case, and not so much on the model, but I do get your point. I reckon it depends on what is written. See, on the below picture, hiding text under clothes would not work well, imo, because she is covered in it heads to toes, and that was the idea. I am tempted to move outside the studio and get some shots done outdoors. In any case, really appreciate the hints.
sutrabartresframe-1.jpg

But it doesnt mean that my focus is on bold and bold only.
bellicall2resframe-1.jpg

---------- Post added at 06:21 ---------- Previous post was at 06:18 ----------

ryuurui, did You watch Pillow book by Peter Greenaway?
I think that could be interesting for You, however, that in not my kind of movie

I am with you on this one, too depressing, too dark, too weird.

What is the message you are pushing?
(I have no idea what the writing says BTW)
Is there something you can do with the lighting?

Is there a commentary?
Is there a way to have the writing synergise with the model,

Do you want the model to be seen as sexy?
what is the focus?
Is it the writing art (calig)
The model?
the pose?
the message?

What about the negative space?
In my work i found that the parts that were not the model even became more important than the model/s
Creating shapes, using lighting.

A great picture tells a story.
It has a narrative.

I always try to tell a story with my pictures.

One way your photo inspires me to think, would be a narrative where the writing corrupts the model.
Perhaps as a nod to how the writings of the media have affected women.
"Acceptable dimension"

an interesting idea might also be to have the writing juxtapose the model, her pose pose and the set up.

Is there a way you can use lighting, shadows, combined with the pose of the model to have her portray a character that juxtaposes, or adds to the message of the writing?

for example, using posing ad/or lighting.
you can easily make mountain (iwa)
perhaps have something written about a valley (walking through the valley...etc)
or perhaps even just having valey written in her cleavage, whith a shadow of mountain over her breasts could be fun.

experiment and play
I would say it's worth doing arty stuff at night with artificial lighting because it gives you a lot more control.

It depends on the text, and the model, and my mood. I like your idea of creating the connection between the meaning and the pose or the neg/pos space balance. This will be virtually impossible with longer texts, though. Story telling will be harder to do, as the main focus is the symbiosis of shapes. Trial and error I guess. For me composing the text on the body is a new thing, and it is quite challenging as human body is much more tricky to write and display the text than paper. Also, it is much more than just a background.

I shoot in low key to remove the distractions. Yin and Yang between the body and the text is what I am after. Then again, I am already thinking of going outdoors. The focus of the pic. will change depending on the day. I tend to change my mind often. Sexy? Definitely. That is the background theme.

Anyways, many thanks for the input, much appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom