What's new

Blacklisted by Softbank?

glh

Registered
23 Feb 2015
Hi all,

I have a question on what may have happened to my softbank account after I left Japan a few years ago. Basically I opened up a two year contract with softbank way back in late 2010 (possibly October/November, honestly do not remember the month). When I moved out of the country in 2012, I neglected to cancel my phone in person at a softbank, so I called their international number, and got someone to "cancel" the account for me.

During this time softbank was automatically withdrawing monthly fees out of my bank account in Japan, which still had money in it. A few months after I "cancelled" the account, I had a friend in japan withdraw my remaining account. I discovered that softbank had continued to charge my account every month after I had already cancelled my account.

At this point, I didnt really care, as I had no intention of returning to Japan, and I figure the money lost was only a few hundred USD, so it was no big deal. However, I may be returning to Japan again this year for a 3-4 year stint, and I've been told by a friend of mine that I may have been blacklisted by softbank, and even worse, they may be continuing to charge me even now.

Is this true, and can they automatically withdraw from an empty bank account? My friend told me that softbank only keeps a 6 month record of calls, which means that they would not have a record of the call that I made two years ago to cancel my phone plan.

Does anyone know if this issue can be resolved in any way other than me paying up 2-3 years worth of fees? I certainly wouldnt mind dropping another few hundred USD if that would make all the problems go away, but my friend tells me that if my plan wasnt cancelled, I may be on the hook for a few thousand plus interest/penalty fees.

Your friend is probably more full of xxxx than a Christmas turkey.

Why not just contact SoftBank and find out where you stand?

planning to, but I was hoping that someone here might have had a little experience to give me an idea of what to expect when I call. International calls arent cheap after all.

planning to, but I was hoping that someone here might have had a little experience to give me an idea of what to expect when I call. International calls arent cheap after all.

Try Skype. Cheaper than dirt.

Let me make sure I am clear about this....you are not sweating the fact that Softbank may have unfairly raided your bank account for hundreds of dollars....you are not sweating that they may want hundreds more dollars to resolve the situation....but the cost of an international call is giving you pause??

One...if you trust your friend enough with your bank account, you should have sent him or her to a Softbank office to cancel you. I know, I know...the phone call should have been enough. But not only in Japan, but anywhere, very often nothing gets done right over the phone. I have heard a million horror stories. Do it in person. Get it in writing. Its the only way to be sure and be protected.

Two...try Docomo or AU. They may see you are blacklisted and force you to purchase a handset outright rather than rent to own, but, I doubt they will deny you a contract. Its not like the fee they charge you for data could ever actually amount to a true loss to them, is it? Its all on paper and they know it.

Three... if that does not work and if this friend is still in Japan, have them set you up with a pre-paid phone in their name. It won't be flashy, but it will work.

The friend would also need to have an 委任状 (i'ninjou) in hand in order to conduct business on his behalf.

Thank you Mike Cash. I was not being clear. I did not think there was any sure fire way to do this "officially" when I wrote that post. The point was to alert Softbank that they would be getting no more money from the guy at least. But of course having his bank book in hand and many details also helps. And also him being there while glh is on the phone explaining and giving details would also be a big plus. But just a phone call? Nope. That is asking for trouble.

Anyway, this is one of the many reasons why, whenever possible, I opt for getting a bill in the mail that I pay for in cash at the convenience store. That said, I don't think any of these cell phone companies (the exlicatives) let you do that anymore.

Back
Top Bottom