What's new

Best tourist attractions in Japan?

That's Gorgeous! :) But Lake Suwa is in the middle of Nagano. For those in Tokyo, the Tokyo Bay Firework Festival is tonight, Aug. 8, 2009!!

2009.8.8(Sat)
From 7 pm to 8:20 pm (12,000 fireworks). In case of rain or strong wind, it will be canceled.

Odaiba is probably the best viewing spot, but get there early, before they stop running the train due to people overload. Spend the day at Oedo Onsen, then watch the fireworks!

For other fireworks events, consult the JNTO events calendar.

Last edited:
Okinawa

While there's still a bit of summer left this season, if you have the time and money, get yourself to Okinawa for some real R&R. I mean, Shonan and Kamakura have their charms but the beaches there leave something to be desired. Not so in Okinawa.

And while you're relaxing on the beach get yourself some ume chu hai, a drink I discovered this summer. It's the Japanese version of sangria.

Last edited by a moderator:
Edo Jidai

17335gif-1.jpg

Nihonbashi in the Edo Era

Recommended sites for history buffs looking to explore Edo-era Japan, the Tokugawa period when samurai and their nobility ruled.

In Tokyo: Edo Tokyo Museum
江戸東京博物館

In Saitama: Kawagoe
http://www.koedo.or.jp/foreign/english/index.html?index.html

In Hakone: Hakone Outpost
Hakone-Sekisho

In Gifu: Hida Takayama
English

In Okayama: Kurashiki
http://www.city.kurashiki.okayama.jp/dd.aspx?menuid=9900

In Kiso Valley: Magome
馬籠観光協会
http://www.jnto.go.jp/tourism/en/f018.html

Matsuri!

It's firework season again, but don't forget the local festivals. These small outdoor dance festivals have their own charm. Last week there was one at Kagaruzaka with many Awaodori Dancers. This weekend, there's one in Ebisu with Obon Dancers wearing yukatas. Many yatais selling grilled corn, yakitori, yakisoba, beer, etc. Fun for all, so forget the heat and join us. 🙂 Check your local area for upcoming matsuri, too.

What you will notice as you travel within Tokyo is this constant battle of contrasting opposites: the gigantic vs. the micro; the ancient contesting with the futuristic and Western vs. Eastern cultural influences. No other city in the world is like Tokyo.
No one page of description can ever give the full picture of Tokyo. Remember, you will definitely encounter these 2 issues while visiting the many splendid tourist attractions in Tokyo:
(1) the lack of English spoken at some sites and attractions.
(2) the incredible complex, the Tokyo Metro transportation system: the majority of attractions we will talk about are within walking distance of a major train or subway station.

When i visited Japan my most fond memory was when we walked around tokyo and saw groups of people in cosplay. The tour guides told us tht on sundays people dress up in cosplay and go out? can someone who has more knowledge let me know if this is true?

Also- Hiroshima museum was life changing.

every single place I visited in japan was amazing and breathtaking.

If you visit Kansai

My personal suggestion is KINOSAKI ONSEN!
The village is pretty much made up of bath houses and people go from one to the other in their Yukata in the street. It's on the North West coast of Kansai (in Hyogo prefecture). It is a touristic location but you'll only meet Japanese tourists there.

Here to my blog :)

My personal suggestion is KINOSAKI ONSEN!
The village is pretty much made up of bath houses and people go from one to the other in their Yukata in the street. It's on the North West coast of Kansai (in Hyogo prefecture). It is a touristic location but you'll only meet Japanese tourists there.

Here to my blog :)

I have been thinking of going to this place, but never really had the change. I will definitely go there someday!

A bit similar to this is Arima onsen, which is an onsen town behind Mt. Rokko in Kobe and is easily accessible by train or highway bus from Sannomiya.

Although it is not a very big city, I also enjoy the city of Ako, which is known for the story of the forty seven ronin that revenged their masters death, salt, and it has some nice onsen with a view over the Setonaikai!

Although it is not a very big city, I also enjoy the city of Ako, which is known for the story of the forty seven ronin that revenged their masters death, salt, and it has some nice onsen with a view over the Setonaikai!

Thanks! Had never hear of that one!! Will look it up :) I definitely need to plan a trip to Arima as well.

Another one is Amanohashidate, am going there for Christmas. Will post about it when I'm back!

HNY

Happy New Year to all of you!

May all your dreams come true in 2012!

Last edited by a moderator:
In my neck of the woods in Gifu, I highly recommend the following places:

Takayama - located in the mountainous Hida region of Gifu Prefecture in Japan is famous for its beautifully preserved old town.

Gero - onsen heaven and a resort town known for its amazing food.

Shirakawago - a historic village in Gifu, famous for its farmhouses, which are built in a unique architectural style known as gasshō (ツ坂?。ツ渉カ).

Seriously? This is gonna be a long list ..... I try to go with the not so standard tourist spots, I guess.
My problem is that I've been to almost everywhere in Japan .... and there were so many great places that it's hard to pick just a few ...

Mt. Osore in Aomori Prefecture (one of the 3 most sacred places in Japan next to Mt. Hiei and Mt. Koya)
Amanohashidate (one of the top 3 views of Japan besides Miyajima and Matsushima)
Tashirojima (also known as "Cat Island" in Miyagi Prefecture)
Mt. Unzen in Shimabara (they burned Christians in the hells of Unzen a long time ago ..)
Gunkanjima in Nagasaki (Batttleship Island - Ghost Island!)
Akiyoshidai and Akiyoshido in Yamaguchi Prefecture (one of the biggest limestone caves in Asia)
Nartuo whirlpools in Tokushima Prefecture
Tottori sand dunes (ride on a camel and forget that you're in Japan!)
Kotohira / Konpirasan (walk millions of stone steps up and enjoy a great view)
Hirosaki Castle during cherry blossom season in Aomori (enjoy a cherry blossom moat)
View from Mt. Hakodate in Hokkaido (said to be one of the best night views in the world)
Nokogiriyama in Chiba Prefecture (has the biggest Buddha statue outside)
Mt. Yoshino in Nara Prefecture during cherry blossom season (most famous spot for cherry blossom viewing in the Kansai area)
Shirakawa-go (any season) (you won't believe you're in Japan!)

Uhm ... I could go on forever, seriously!

Back
Top Bottom