What's new

Best tourist attractions in Japan?

Have just returned from a weekend of cycling on the Ishikawa/Toyama Ken peninsula and Notoshima. If you're feeling a little more adventurous and want to escape the crowds at the usual haunts of Tokyo, Osaka etc. I suggest here. Great beaches, camping, scenary and, for a summer weekend, had very few cars.

2-3 days Hiroshima is good! see the A-dome, peace museum and the okonomiyaki building!!!

Second day you should go to Miyajima 40minutes by train + ferry from Hiroshima main station. See the famous Torii, take the ropeway to mt.Misen ( or walk :D) enjoy the beautiful sight of the whole island, hiroshima, etc. Visit the temples of the island, and watch the deers eat people their papers!

Great place ( have a look on my blog The Dutch Baka for my trip review)

KimchiRamen said:
Have just returned from a weekend of cycling on the Ishikawa/Toyama Ken peninsula and Notoshima.
Great.
Try Route 42 on the Kii peninsula from Nagoya/Mie or Osaka next.

tourist attractions?
How about Danjiri festival at Kishiwada city in Osaka. The middle of September is the seazon of Danjiri.

If you're in the Kyushu area, one should make the drive to Kumamoto to check out Mt. Aso (largest active volcano in Japan and one of the biggest in the world). It's quite breathtaking to see this HUGE caldera. The drive up to the top is really nice and the caldera is easily accessible allowing for some spectacular views on a clear day.

ASO - Wikipedia

If you're in the Kyushu area, one should make the drive to Kumamoto to check out Mt. Aso (largest active volcano in Japan and one of the biggest in the world). It's quite breathtaking to see this HUGE caldera. The drive up to the top is really nice and the caldera is easily accessible allowing for some spectacular views on a clear day.
ASO - Wikipedia

Are there bus tours of Mt. Aso? Do you know what they cost and where the embarkation points are? I've been thinking about going there maybe the next time I go to Japan.

Yes, bus tours are a regular thing at least judging from the few times i've been there. I'm not sure about how much your typical package costs and what it all entails but i'll ask around.

Yes, bus tours are a regular thing at least judging from the few times i've been there. I'm not sure about how much your typical package costs and what it all entails but i'll ask around.

Thanks. I'd appreciate the information. I like to see different things each time I go to Japan.

Re: Aso, here is the tel.# for direct inquiries:

Aso Volcano Museum (open daily 9am to 5pm)
Telephone: (096) 734 2111

Found this site online that has a sample itinerary for a bus package that includes Aso (and some other nice places in Kyushu):

http://www.jhn-travel.com/tours2005/details.asp?TourCode=JHNONSEN1

For a cheaper alternative, you would probably be better to just take a Nishitetsu highway bus from Kumamoto. No idea how much that would run though, but I doubt it would be more than a few thousand ツ?? Btw, got this little info tidbit off the following site:

http://www.worldsurface.com/browse/location.asp?locationid=7064

"Aso is in the Kumomoto-ken (Kumonoto prefecture) on Kyushu island. A small town with a few hotels and a youth hostel that caters to travelers wishing to see Mt. Nankadake, an active volcano. Aso-Kuju National Park has five mountains in it for hikers and travelers to see. From Aso, a bus goes up to the museum and viewing platform of Mt. Nankadake, with the last bus going up at 15:20 for the 40 minute ride, and the last bus coming down at 17:00."

Anyways, it's definitely worth checking out should you be in the area.

Thanks for the info. I'll check it out.

I was looking though my Lonely Planet guidebook and it is a little hazy on what's available. It does mention all those peaks and different highways to get there, but doesn't seem to mention specific tour companies. I'll have to re-read it again as I may have missed a few things.

If you like anime don't forget about he toei animation studios, the bandai museum and above all the Island of the Queen Himika with the bronce bell...In front of tokyois the Island that inspirated Go Nagai for his faboulous Kotetsu Jeeg ;)

If you like anime don't forget about he toei animation studios, the bandai museum and above all the Island of the Queen Himika with the bronce bell...In front of tokyois the Island that inspirated Go Nagai for his faboulous Kotetsu Jeeg ;)

Unfortunately, the Bandai Museum closed down last August. I went there in October 2005.

I would say Ise Jingu. It is magical! The shrine is situated in a ancient forest with enermous trees. During this year the shrine will be rebuild according to Shinto tradition. Ise Jingu has been continually rebuilt every 20 years since year 690.

Ise Grand Shrine (Ise Jingu)

Kyoto things to see.

I found that Kyoto station was amazing for a modern structure, and the Sanjusangendo temple was amazing as well. It has 1000 Bodhisattva statues in 5 rows of 200, with a Giant Buddha in the middle, all made from Bronze. The Gion Festival in July is also a not to miss if you can travel during that time. The best part of the festival is called yamahoko-junko. The various temples build large structures (floats) that are pulled through the street. Lots of street vendors, and lots of folks dressed in traditional garb. The kids in kimonos are really cute, and some of the food the vendors have for sale will shock and amaze you. Kyoto has soo many temples that after awhile it becomes a blur, but Sanjusangendo was the one I went back to. I am sure others have their favorites as well.

After one visit to Yokohama in August, '07, I have to recommend the famous ferris wheel--beautiful view of the bay and city. Kanegawa Museum had a special Hiroshige display which I found awesome.

After one visit to Yokohama in August, '07, I have to recommend the famous ferris wheel--beautiful view of the bay and city. Kanegawa Museum had a special Hiroshige display which I found awesome.

After a year in Kanagawa, I totally agree. I really loved the whole Mnatomirai/Sakuragicho area.

So many great places to see in Japan. I personally loved the Oigawa steam railways, the beautiful tropical Yaeyama islands, Kyoto and Nikko under the snow, and of course the wonderful sakuras (cherry blossoms) and koyos (red maple leaves), all probably best enjoyed in Kyoto.

Though after a lot of travel, I think I share the view of a japanese friend who thinks Nara is the most impressive place. This is also the place my family prefered when they went to Japan

i suggest:
Kurama, not far from kyoto
Arima
Mie, especially iga-ueno (if you're a ninja-addicted it's the best for you)
Horyu-ji temple in Nara

All these places are in Kansai, and i think they're too underrated

The largest and oldest Tokyo Park, Ueno was first opened to the public in 1873 and is today one of the prime attractions in Tokyo for tourists and locals alike. With cherry blossoms blooming in the spring and lotuses flowering in the summer, this Tokyo Park is the city's most beautiful spot for hanami (cherry blossom viewing parties). And with numerous temples, shrines, unparalleled art museums and a zoo, Ueno Park is one of the most cultured Japan attractions. Yet unlike the refinement of the other major Tokyo Park, Ginza, Ueno has always retained the working class roots of the merchants, laborers and rural peasants who have long enjoyed its easy style and unpretentious natural beauty.

Hanabi

If you're in Tokyo this month, you should be able to see some great firework displays. They are well worth you time, if you can find a good spot for watching.

Here's a display from Kustashika. You should watch it in HD on a big screen if possible. The last part is done in sync with Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture, unfortunately it's hard to hear.

[youtube]WPSm0yKS3Ek&hd=1[/youtube]

Attachments

• Hanabi.jpg
    Hanabi.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 136
Back
Top Bottom