What's new

Base of Operations: Kyoto or Osaka

WHEATTHlNS

None Of Your Business
2 Feb 2005
As the title suggests. Im going to be in the Kansai region from the 26th to the 1st, and was wondering what the best city was to base trips to Kobe and Nara around (of course I would also be visiting both cities).

Both locations seem to have their own charm, but I was suggested Osaka if you want a lot of late night stuff to do. The time to get in between cities (an hour) doesnt bother me at all.

Also I have no desire to to book lodging in both cities, so this is why Im asking for whats the better place to stay.

If you're into nightlife, I would pick Osaka. Kyoto is nice, I enjoyed it. Either one of those would be good.

Osaka definitely has a better nightlife (though Kyoto has one too)

The other pro for Osaka is that it is a bit more central location if you are also planning trips to Kobe and Nara. Though you won't be at a disadvantage by staying in Kyoto, which is also convenient to those cities.

Kyoto's big plus is that it has way more stuff to see in terms of historical sites, temples, shrines and traditional Japanese stuff. Osaka really has none of that worth mentioning, though it does have a lot more shopping and other big city stuff.

How many days have you planned to spend in each location?

I think you need to spend two to three days at least in Kyoto, but only one each for Osaka, Nara and Kobe. It will really depend on what you want to see. There are 1600 Buddhist temples and 400 Shinto shrines in Kyoto.

It might be worth looking over our guide to Kyoto

I was originally going to stay in KYOTO, but I would think temples and shrines would get a little tedious after awhile, and then you want to do something like hit up SPA WORLD or Universal Studios. I suppose one can day trip those but I just want to make sure where I stay theres places to just leave the hostel and go to a bar or some cool club if Im so moved.

Also, the only hostel available in Kyoto right now is "Kyoto Cheapest Inn" and it doesnt inspire confidence in me.

You are coming all the way from the States, are only going to be in Japan for about 5 days and you are planning to spend one of them at Universal Studios, which has nothing to do with Japan or to distinguish itself from Universal Studios in California (or any one of a million other theme parks across the US)???

I can understand not wanting to spend all your time looking at temples and shrines and stuff, but there seriously are better ways to spend what little time you have than by going to an American theme park.

I will be in the kansai region for 5 days. . .my TOTAL trip is two weeks, a portion of that spent with a friend in Matsue - weve planned (or she has) a 2 day jaunt to Hiroshima as well, so no - the majority of my time is not going to be spent looking for frivilous pursuits - but on the other hand, Universal Japan being culturally significant or not, I am there to have FUN - educational fun and frivilous fun.

Why visit Universal Japan? The same reason I went to Tokyo Disneyland last year - because it looked interesting and isnt something Id have any interest in doing here.

Yeah, sorry to give you a hard time...to each his own.

Just out of curiousity, why are you interested in going to Disney and Universal Studios in Japan and not in the US?

Back
Top Bottom