What's new

bail in japan jail?

Not from what I hear. You can be held for a number of days (2 or so) while the procecutor decides if there is a chance they might get you. A judge can extend this period of detention if the procecutor needs more time. The following link makes no mention of bail.

www.debito.org: Arrest and Detention Periods under Japanese Law

Also, no one must be told you have been arrested for 48 hours. That means you might not have a lawyer for 2 days or more.

This is a good question. I know that the US does have Bail and Bail Bonds and things like that. Maybe Thomas can shed some light on this. He is an excellent researcher.

Originally posted by samuraitora
Maybe Thomas can shed some light on this. He is an excellent researcher.

Thanks ST, but I am relying on Google as everyone else, lolol. Interstingly, this thread comes up first when you google on bail and japanese jails.

Bail is the exception rather than the rule in Japan and is virtually unheard of for foreigners. If you are arrested in Japan you will in all likelihood remain in jail until you are indicted or released. Suspects are usually kept at the local jail where they were arrested and generally eat the same Japanese style food as the other prisoners.

Source

=> http://usembassy.state.gov/tokyo/wwwhacs-7110b.html

I think "bail" is a common legal concept in all criminal procedure codes, whereas bail bonds seem to be a U.S. phenomenon.

Back
Top Bottom