What's new

Asking what People think

letslearn

先輩
11 Sep 2013
Hi Guys,
I was wondering if the following question makes sense.
I'm trying to say in English.

Why do you think that kareoke is still popular in Japan?

カラオケは日本にどうしてまだ人気になっていると思い ますか

Does 人気になっている need to be nomalised?

よろしくお願いします

to be popular: 人気がある / 人気だ
で is used to indicate location in this case. に is for target (e.g. 若者に人気がある).
Nominalizer is not needed before と for quotation.

Thanks toritoribesan,
In "カラオケは日本でどうしてまだ人気があると思い ますか"
Is there a present progressive form of 人気がある ?

for example 食べ物を食べる eat food becomes 食べ物を食べている eating food.
or does it not matter with
人気がある

Why would it need one?

Existence (expressed by ある) is already an ongoing state.

The Japanese definition of ある is 人、物が存在する. Operative word is 存在 which means existence. So it doesn't really need a ている to express 継続的な状態. That's built in.

居る falls in the same camp. Not all verb conjugation makes sense for all verbs. Always exceptions.

This kinda also makes 存在する and 存在している mean pretty much the same thing now I think about it except I guess the latter is present tense only while the former can be future tense. You can't make such distinction with ある.

If for some reason you just must have it in that tense (can't imagine why...), use 流行っている instead.

Hi mikesan and morphlingsan,
That makes sense that it exists, I didn't even think of that, its so logical. 恥ずかしそう。

流行っている is a great word though.

Hi mikesan and morphlingsan,
That makes sense that it exists, I didn't even think of that, its so logical. 恥ずかしそう。

流行っている is a great word though.

Pretty much every utterance falls into one of the following broad categories:

1. Existence
2. Action
3. Possession
4. State (condition)

It can sometimes help when you get stuck if you try to figure out which of the four listed communicative purposes is involved.

Broadly speaking again, even if the constructions used vary between languages when translating something, you will usually find that it is the same communities purpose being fulfilled.....expressing either existence, action, possession, or state.

Is that from some academic thing or your own conclusion? I would say chuck any idioms in and your whole translation is gonna be 10x harder.

Hi Mikesan,
Number three sometimes is tricky. In English we often say things for example...Do you have any beer? for possession.

In Japanese is it more natural to say ビールはありますか or ビールを持っていますか

Not sure what your point is.

Both ある 持つ can mean 所有. In your example though ある is better to ask whether beer is available in a store. The latter sounds like you are asking if one is in possession of a beer. Really emphasizing the possession bit. 所持. But hey they could mean the same thing.

This is pretty unique to Japanese that 所有 can be expressed with 有る and 持つ.

In Chinese you can bang the 2 characters together but when translating into Japanese you are no closer to the answer.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409004885.364730.jpg

Another way to say it is:
カラオケが日本でまだ人気があるのはどうして / なぜだと思いますか
or
カラオケが日本でまだ人気がある理由は何だと思いますか

Back
Top Bottom