What's new

Asahi Language opinion poll

Elizabeth

先輩
22 Apr 2003
Just came across this online survey and if nothing else it does seem to verify the finding that 1 in 3 Japanese never read a book.:eek:

although I'm sure the rate is even lower among Americans.

And perhaps it just takes being more fluent to truly appreciate the the semantics here, ;) although there is some hope for all of us students in the number of respondents feeling that 'the language being used now is (very or to some extent) confusing/disordered was actually down 5.4% from fiscal year 1999 to 80.4%.

asahi.com : 社会

These two items in particular really caught my attention since even I could more or less reason them out enough to understand someone whose roles or duties were insufficient would mean they were too light for his abilities, not too heavy. Or that a "crime of conviction" is something one knew was wrong at the time, but did it out of a strong political or religious belief.

役不足】例文:彼には役不足の仕事だ。

×本人の力量に対して役目が重すぎること=62.8%

◎本人の力量に対して役目が軽すぎること=27.6%

・わからない=5.0%

【確信犯】例文:そんなことをするなんて確信犯だ。

×悪いことであると分かっていながらなされる行為・犯罪またはその行為を行う人=57.6%

◎政治的・宗教的などの信念に基づいて正しいと信じてなされる行為・犯罪またはその行為を行う人=16.4%

・わからない=18.8%

Konnichiwa Elizabeth-san!

I knew the same topic from TV news and newspaper. The confusion of Japanese is always lionized from old times. Because Japanese is a variable language. It is difficult to read Japanese sentence of a hundred years ago even the Japanese.:D

But Japanese language is difficult too much because there are so many confusing words. For instance, Yaku-busoku and Yakusya-busoku. I red a lot of books more than the average Japanese, but I have a lot of confusing words that I don't know meaning exactly.:eek:

There is the book for confusing words in Japan. This book is very fun. I recommend this book to Japanese expert. Of course I have it too.

NANGI

Originally posted by NANGI

I knew the same topic from TV news and newspaper. The confusion of Japanese is always lionized from old times. Because Japanese is a variable language. It is difficult to read Japanese sentence of a hundred years ago even the Japanese.:D

But Japanese language is difficult too much because there are so many confusing words. For instance, Yaku-busoku and Yakusya-busoku. I red a lot of books more than the average Japanese, but I have a lot of confusing words that I don't know meaning exactly.:eek:
NANGI
Konnichiwa Nangi-san! I'm confused now, too, since 役不足 and 役者不足 aren't in my dictionary either. :p I would guess 役者不足 probably connotes insufficient ability of the performer or not enough applicants to fill a role, while 役不足 is to a job insufficent to the performer's ability ??? What is the name of that book? :D

Well, there are many unique aspects to the Japanese language, aren't there. The use of both "Wa" (topic) and "ga" (subject) -type sentences when most languages are just one or the other, an appallingly elaborate system of honorifics, and four ways of writing 52 simple sounds. :eek:

Last edited:

Yes, Yakusha means performer, Busoku(Fuoku) means deficiency. Yakusya-busoku means insufficient ability of the performer. And Yaku-busoku means insufficient role(trivial job).

There are a lot of books about confusing words in Japan, Siranai Nihongo, Nihongo no Oni, Nihongo ga Yokuwakaru and etc... Those book comment on confusing words, proverb, idiom, honorifics, etymology of strange word and etc...

An instance, "Nekobaba" from my book of confusing words.
Neko means a cat. Baba means a dung. Nekobaba means cat's dung. What means cat's dung in Japanese?:D

Nekobaba means "embezzle" or "pocket" in Japanese.
in Japanese
Kare ha Michi de Okane wo Hirotta ga, Dare mo Miteinakatta no de Nekobaba shita.
in English
He found a money on the sidewalk, but, since nobody was around, he
pocketed it.:D

But why "cat's dung" means "pocket"? Because cat cover own dung with sand or soil by hind legs. Cat hide their wrong things. And "Nekobaba"
means wicked deed in secret, especially "embezzle" or "pocket".

NANGI

Back
Top Bottom