What's new

Applying to Sophia University FLA Fall 2012

Gilandor

後輩
24 May 2012
Hi guys,

I'm applying to Sophia Uni's FLA for Fall 2012 (as the title says).
Now, I also applied for the Spring intake this year, but was rejected due to certain reasons that I'll go on to address in a bit.
I'll talk a bit about the cause of my main problem first.

I'm from Singapore and I graduated from Senior High in 2005 with dismal A'level results due to burn out and a total loss of faith in the system. It's not very funny to study and memorize insane amounts of text, hoping to get a decent grade (like all other locals do) and then suddenly watching your friends from international schools clowning around, partying every other night, showing you how much easier and less competitive their examination curriculum is... and then having them show you that they have all entered good overseas universities, while you have to fight with the other locals for those few spots in the four local universities. My subject combinations were not any help since I took History, Geography, Economics and had to take Chinese as a second language (a second language is required for local university application and I was forced to take Chinese, a language that I can speak and read, but had no interest in studying).

Now, it's 7 years later and those results have been proving to be my greatest bane. I was unable to retake the exams the following year as I was called up to serve my two years of military service (like all other local men) and by the time I was done with the army, the A'level curriculum had vastly changed. For example, for History, I had to study the French Revolution, the Unification of Italy and the Unification of Germany, World War I's causes and the question of German War Guilt, etc. By the time I had finished army, none of the above were in the curriculum and people were taking Modern World History instead.

Now, getting to the main point.

I previously applied with my SAT I score of 1800. I do not have to take TOEFL as English (British) is my primary language. Singapore does not use GPA for A'levels (same as the Brits). As I mentioned earlier, my A'levels were horrendous. I submitted 3 letters of recommendation (from the Vice-Principal, my Form teacher and another teacher) and I have an attendance of about 95%. I also have about JLPT2 level Japanese, but silly me took the JLPT1 exam instead, so I don't have a cert for it... but I do converse with the admissions office staff in Japanese.

Needless to say, I didn't make the cut.

Having been advised to reapply, I'm doing so again with some changes. I'm using my latest SAT I score of 2100, for which I studied hard for, learnt the differences between British and American English, American SAT essay writing styles (which are vastly different from British writing styles) and memorizing half-forgotten math formulas. I am going to submit my old school transcripts (so that it can be converted to GPA) and I am going to submit one more letter of recommendation (it's actually a testimonial from a lieutenant colonel in whose unit I served during my military service). My A'level grades however, I can't do anything about.

I know that the odds are against me and I'm hoping for any advice that might improve my chances... as well as takes on the odds of me getting in.

I have additional material that I can submit, but I'm not sure whether I should or should not. The university admissions office staff told me not to submit any junior high material, but I've noticed from the post of other applicants, that they do submit junior high material, including letters of recommendation from junior high teachers.

From my junior high, I have an honor's day award as well as a certificate for my promotion to patrol leader for scouts. My extra-curriculum activity records also show that I represented the school in a debate team (on a national level), did community service and that I also served as a House Secretary (we use the House system). I'm not sure whether I should submit copies of these as well or not - if I don't, I might be selling myself short.

A slight loophole is that, in Singapore, we study for 4 years in Junior High and 2 years in Senior High... So theoretically, my final year in Junior High would be the equivalent of my first year in Senior High in accordance to the Japanese system...

Still, I'm quite lost as to what to do as I really want to get into the University.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:
Hello, I am also applying for the FLA, I think your SAT scores are very good and if you had good recommendation letters and essay I think you should be able to enter. Good luck! and can't wait to June 26th for results

Thanks, good luck to you too! Hopefully we'll see each other in September! (^_^)

By the way, will they provide us with a pre-registration number? so we can check the day of the results, since I see that the results shown aren't with the person's name but a certain number.

By the way, will they provide us with a pre-registration number? so we can check the day of the results, since I see that the results shown aren't with the person's name but a certain number.

Sorry, just checked this thread and I hope you read this in time.
The University should have already mailed you to inform you that they received all your documents and provided you with a registration number. The same number was reflected on the bank payment part of the application form.

Just a little reminder, the results will be on the website tomorrow (26th June) at 10am Japan time (GMT/UTC +9).

Once again, good luck to you too! ^ ^

Sorry, just checked this thread and I hope you read this in time.
The University should have already mailed you to inform you that they received all your documents and provided you with a registration number. The same number was reflected on the bank payment part of the application form.
Just a little reminder, the results will be on the website tomorrow (26th June) at 10am Japan time (GMT/UTC +9).
Once again, good luck to you too! ^ ^

Oh yes, I asked sophia university about it, but the post in Mexico is so slow it hasn't arrived yet... so I hope it arrives today or tomorrow, if not, I am going to contact Sophia about it.
good luck to you too! and hope we get to meet soon....

I got in as well, and I just received my admissions material. (^_^)

Guess we'll need a way to contact each other from now on. haha~
Are you planning to stay at one of the dorms?

Back
Top Bottom