What's new

Apologies for for having a mobile phone on

letslearn

先輩
11 Sep 2013
Hi Guy's
In my job I am sometimes required to be in an oncall roster, for emergency technical assistance.
Unfortunately sometimes this coincides with my class room studies and I am required to respond to my mobile phone( I have it in silent mode of course) however on occasions I have had to apologise and leave the class.
I have informed the teacher of this in English, however I would like to be able to explain this in Japanese.
The word I found for oncall is 呼び出し. So this is what I have come up with. It may long winded but here it goes.
いま呼び出ししているから,携帯電話をつけなければなりません。お詫び 申し上げます。
I feel like something is missing, like I haven't asked if this is ok with the teacher, In english we would ask if the teacher minds me leaving the phone on etc. should I include よろしければ?
よろしくお願いします

The critical mistake is 呼び出しているから means you are calling a person.

You need to keep it short if you're trying to pickup a ringing phone right? How about something like:
会社からの緊急電話がありますので ... 申し訳ございません
as you're walking out of the room.

As for the asking permission thing:
> お詫び 申し上げます
I don't think I've ever used this phrase in my life. (That's not to say it's wrong.)
Typically I'd use the 申し訳ない phrase. Or the "I'd humbly like you to make me do this" phrase.
e.g. 具合がよくないので会社を休ませていただきたいですが。

I know this was a language question, but I'm going to answer it as though if were a culture question.

People here tend to neither give nor expect explanations in situations like this. The most anyone would expect to hear in addition to your excusing yourself while leaving the room to answer the phone is 会社からです and even that isn't necessary.

The critical mistake is 呼び出しているから means you are calling a person.
Oh I thought that 呼び出し was a noun for oncall. thats is why I put it into the present progressive form to try and say state of being oncall.

I know this was a language question, but I'm going to answer it as though if were a culture question.

People here tend to neither give nor expect explanations in situations like this. The most anyone would expect to hear in addition to your excusing yourself while leaving the room to answer the phone is 会社からです and even that isn't necessary.

thanks Mikesan but how about a pre-warning that it may happen?

You need to keep it short if you're trying to pickup a ringing phone right? How about something like:
会社からの緊急電話がありますので ... 申し訳ございません
as you're walking out of the room.

As for the asking permission thing:
> お詫び 申し上げます
I don't think I've ever used this phrase in my life. (That's not to say it's wrong.)
Typically I'd use the 申し訳ない phrase. Or the "I'd humbly like you to make me do this" phrase.
e.g. 具合がよくないので会社を休ませていただきたいですが。
Thank you. So if I want to ask to leave my phone on I could say something like
会社からの緊急電話があるかもしれないので ... 申し訳ございません.
よろしければ、携帯電話をつけたままいいですか

Last edited by a moderator:
呼び出し is indeed a noun, but the meaning is "a call/summons", not "on-call". So, 呼び出し(を)する means "to call".

I would say;
申し訳ありませんが、会社から呼び出しがあるかもしれませんので、携帯をつけたままにさせてください(ませんか)。

呼び出し is indeed a noun, but the meaning is "a call/summons", not "on-call". So, 呼び出し(を)する means "to call".

I would say;
申し訳ありませんが、会社から呼び出しがあるかもしれませんので、携帯をつけたままにさせてください(ませんか)。
Thanks toritoribesan and every one.
That's exactly what I was trying to say.

Back
Top Bottom