What's new

Neko and Kaku have the same kanji?

derick78b

先輩
12 Oct 2011
Hello,
While I was learning some kanji and I found out kaku (to draw) 描く and since I have already leant neko (cat) 猫 I thought they're both the same.
Looking to the kanji I can see a little difference between them though I don't think they're different if seen hand-written.
Am I right?
Thank you all.

They are different. That small difference in left radical is enough, but I believe those are two of the most similar kanjis I've learned so far...
I don't know if you use any method for learning kanjis. I am using Heisig's method (the book is "Remembering the Kanji") where every radical has some kind of keyword meaning attached. By heisig the left radical of 描 means "fingers", and the left radical of 猫 is "wild dog". Looking at them this way I'm sure you're not gonna mix them again :)

No, they aren't the same. As waitingiskillingme pointed out, the left radical is different in each. As you stated, you can see the difference in the typed version.

You can see the difference also in hand-written ones. The keys are 1)the slope of the upper horizontal line in the left radical(hen), 2)whether the lower horizontal line is written across the vertical line or not, and 3)whether the vertical line is straight or curved.

71ixk6-1.jpg

Another tehen-kemonohen pairs
押狎
拍狛
抂狂
挾狹

Can you decipher the difference between the following pairs?;-)
祢袮
土士

Last edited:
You can see the difference also in hand-written ones. The keys are 1)the slope of the upper horizontal line in the left radical(hen), 2)whether the lower horizontal line is written across the vertical line or not, and 3)whether the vertical line is straight or curved.
71ixk6-1.jpg

Another tehen-kemonohen pairs
窶ーナクテ?ツセ
窶敖渉債
ツ抂窶ケツカ
ツ挾テ?テ
Can you decipher the difference between the following pairs?;-)
窶扞テ・テ
窶忱ナスm

Thank you all

:D

Using rikaichan it helped me too.

There's a stroke in the first example and the lower stroke is smaller than the above one.

Thank you all again.

Back
Top Bottom