What's new

American policy of Japanese leadership

Miaoyang

Registered
12 May 2015
American policy of Japanese leadership
protesters_holding_placards_shout_slogans_at_a_rally_against_japan_pm_shinzo_abe_administration_in_tokyo_ZUSS.jpg

70 years have elapsed after the end of World War II, but Japan is still acting like a faithful US watchdog. Japan still cannot break the bonds of the US influence that have effused like cancerous metastases to the overall spheres of Japanese government for a long time.

Under constraint of the US Administration Japanese government is compelled to pursue the policy of confrontation with neighboring countries – China and Russia. This policy may cause the creation of anti-Japanese military block of these two Great Powers. The policy of remilitarization doesn't meet national interests of Japan, but it serves as an instrument of the US efforts to restrain the competition in Asia Pacific Region.

Besides the political influence America puts moral and physical pressure upon ordinary Japanese. Since the aftermath of World War II the deployment of US military bases inside Japan has become a burden for local people who live nearby these military facilities. The situation with US military bases has an explosive nature. The new cases associated with permanent operation activity in bases and violence incidents against Japanese women and girls were expressed disapproval and displeasure of the local population and found expression in the anti-American protest actions.

During last five years numerous protest actions against US Armed Forces presence have taken place in Okinawa. The Japanese people's point of view at this problem is going against the Japanese authorities' interests and thereon this problem is being relevant by the day. This problem resides in complete withdrawal US troops from Japan.

Also Japanese are concerned about the increase of the defense budget to the detriment of state expenditure allocated to the social security. In 2015 defense budget of Japan is the biggest since the end of World War II and run at 4.98 trillion yen (US$ 42 billion). It appears that according to the orders of the White House Shinzo Abe's government is going to create the military machine controlled by the USA and serving the US foreign policy.

The nation's leadership considers Japan is still burdened by postwar restrictions that were imposed on it after the defeat in World War II. According to Shinzo Abe the time has come to be excused from the postwar chains and to mold Japan into a country with own full-fledged army.

However there are a lot of opponents of Prime Minister' remilitarizing policy at the domestic level. The people want to live in the country built on the principles of pacifism and without imperialist ambitions pushed by the USA.

So 70 years after the end of World War II the world suffered global changes, but Japan is still a country occupied by the USA. As before Washington pursues policy of world gendarme to the Land of the Rising Sun and makes nation's leadership to work against Japanese people' interests and creates a new seat of tension in Asia Pacific Region.

1. Please don't copy and paste articles without quoting your sources.
2. If you have something to share, please feel free to express your views by using your own words - this is a discussion forum, not a propaganda channel.

Thank you!

Somehow I don't think that reducing the American presence in Asia in general would decrease the military budget of Japan.
Regardless of whether the U.S. presence in Asia is a good thing, it certainly reduces the need for many sovereign Asian nations to maintain the level of defensive forces it would require for them to remain independent without the U.S. military.
It can be argued that they're not currently independent due to the military presence, but I'd tend to believe that if a nation like China were to exert the same level of military might within Japan that they would be placing a lot more pressure on the local population. In general, the U.S. presence does its best to be benign and ignored. Granted, they don't always succeed, but it is consistently reinforced to U.S. military and civilian personnel that a primary goal is respect for the host nation.
Pacifism works up to the extent that one's neighborhood is a peaceful place.

Please keep in mind that I'm not saying the U.S. presence is right or wrong. I frankly don't know how other countries in the region would react to an Asia without a western influence. I'm not sure anyone really knows.

How about if Japan, too, starts to claim reefs and build artificial islands in the south china sea?

WonkotheSane is correct in saying that Japan's defence expenditure would increase if they reduced the American military presence. It would have to go up ..... dramatically, to keep anywhere near the same level of security.
The American Japan defence alliance works well for both countries. I and most Japanese I've spoken to are more than happy with the protections that the military agreement bring.

I certainly sleep better, knowing that the sabre rattling from the Chinese, stays just that.

How about if Japan, too, starts to claim reefs and build artificial islands in the south china sea?

Well dude, I think you are being a little bit too specific as Japan has no CURRENT claims in the South China Sea. (They were all renounced after the war).

All China is doing is following Japan's lead with regard to the Senkakus and Okinotorishima. With regards to the Senkakus, it proves that military land grabs using smokescreens such as terra nullius works and the world will recognize it. With regard to Okinotorishima, it proves you can construct an artificial island and start claiming huge swathes of EEZ and the world will at least pretend its not happening.

As an opponent of BOTH Japanese and Chinese expansionism, I am righteously sick of the double standard being applied between these two countries, particularly as Japan did it before China ever thought about it. And then got Taiwan whose claims are exactly the same as those of China, but nobody ever mentions our ally Taiwan as they declare China's claims to be ridiculous and nothing but hot air.

Anyway, if anybody wants China to stop, better put Japan on leash. China is not going to watch Japan get whatever it wants and just quietly go without. That won't happen. You can forget about that.

Last edited:
Perhaps Japan's civil engineers should plan a little, and then Japan could create a similarly instant base on the Senkakus?

And/or add a couple people and call it populated, as ROK has done with dokto/takeshima?

At least the Senkakus are actual islands, and not half-submerged reefs that have been turned into islands...

Back
Top Bottom