What's new

Am I missing anything?

wizcoder

後輩
4 Jul 2014
Hi,

I've been using the genki book to learn japanese for a few months now and I'm around page 125, I've just been wondering.. I understand everything so far but am I missing anything? Is there anything else to it rather than just going lesson by lesson learning new vocabulary, grammar and how to put the sentences together.

If not then I hope i'm on the right track, i'm able to pick up some stuff while watching shows etc, I also practice my listening with the genki cd's packaged.

The only thing I haven't done is learn the Kanji other than memorizing ones I see often, I was planning to do kanji after I finish the book unless they force you to but so far they don't, if I'm missing something let me know thanks.

Are you doing the workbook? Practicing creating your own sentences using what you've learned?

Yup, everything it shows me I am doing, all the exercises, making my own sentences etc.

You might try starting a thread for posting the sentences you create, then someone could have a look at them for you and spot errors or misunderstandings, if any.

Since a lot of university courses use Genki, you can probably find additional class materials/exercises/tests etc. online. There are some supplemental links mentioned here.

A simple test would be to go back and read through any practice reading passages/dialogues for the first couple of chapters, just to see how much of the early stuff you've retained.

Since a lot of university courses use Genki, you can probably find additional class materials/exercises/tests etc. online. There are some supplemental links mentioned here.

A simple test would be to go back and read through any practice reading passages/dialogues for the first couple of chapters, just to see how much of the early stuff you've retained.

Thanks for the link!, and lol I literally did that yesterday ( going back and seeings how much you I learned from the previous chapters ).

As long as you're retaining the material from earlier (doesn't have to be 100%), then you're probably going fine. If you were struggling with remembering earlier material, that might suggest you weren't putting in enough time with each chapter to make sure it sticks.

You could dabble on the side with the Coscom online material or Erin's Challenge as well but make getting through Genki your main priority.

As long as you're retaining the material from earlier (doesn't have to be 100%), then you're probably going fine. If you were struggling with remembering earlier material, that might suggest you weren't putting in enough time with each chapter to make sure it sticks.

You could dabble on the side with the Coscom online material or Erin's Challenge as well but make getting through Genki your main priority.

I honestly love all the links you provide, I don't know where to find these sites. Yesterday when I did my whole list of vocabulary to see what I remembered out of 180 words, I only forgot 13 so I found that is good. As for grammar everything is good.

Thanks for all the help :p

Back
Top Bottom