What's new

Ainu people [Pics]

dogman

先輩
4 Mar 2006

debo02-1.jpg

ilj_2vol_v1_41-1.jpg

tonkoriJPG-1.jpg

Takashi Ukaji (Half Japanese half Ainu actor)
041105_2-1.jpg

Interesting info! Do you have any finding or thought to share with us on the subject of Ainu people?

The native Hokkaido Ainu people in black and white photos I've seen looked more Polynesian-stock with hairy facial features.

I've read it somewhere,there is a remaining population of approximately 35,000 Ainu.

Is there a map of Hokkaido with dotted locations where Ainu presently live ?

It seems that many of the remaining speakers live in Nibutani, as noted in this wiki article:
Most of the 150,000 self-proclaimed ethnic Ainu in Japan (many additional Ainu are not aware of their origins or are secretive for fear of discrimination) speak only Japanese. In the town of Nibutani (part of Biratori, Hokkaido) where many of the remaining native speakers live, there are 100 speakers, out of which only 15 used the language every day in the late 1980s. The number of speakers today (by whatever definition one may use) is not known with any certainty. In all of Hokkaido, it is estimated that there are perhaps 1,000 native speakers, almost all older than 30. Among Ainu speakers (broadly defined), second-language learners presently outnumber native ones.
I have confirmed those figures in Nanette Gottlieb's "Language and Society in Japan." The number of native speakers and people who use the language in daily life is alarming, but not surprising.

The Ainu people have been whiped out and are nearly as Japanese as the more recent arrivals, no suprise.

I'm said to say IMHO almost all Ainu culture has been lost and what remains will dwindle over time, Hokkaido is for the forseeable future a Japanese culture.

According to Isabella Bird ,
Unbeaten Tracks in Japan: Travelers' Tales Classics: Bird, Isabella L.: 0692077211573: Amazon.com: Books
there were Yoshitsune shirines that Ainu ppl was worshpping...
yoshitsune legend might be true??
Ainu and Yamato ppl have basicaly same thoughts religously?
AN AINU TRADITION CONCERNING OKIKURUMI AND SAMAI
In the third place this tradition teaches the Ainu not to forget the exceeding great power of Yoshitsune. Though Benkei dropped down in the boat through sheer exhaustion.................
An Ainu Tradition Concerning Okikurumi and Samai
pic37_327-1.jpg

Minamoto no Yoshitsune - Wikipedia
http://www.katch.ne.jp/~diva/juku/webcls/qtn5.html

Back
Top Bottom