What's new

advice please ^^;

yuzu

後輩
28 Apr 2004
this is probably a stupid question or just me being paranoid, but i hope you guys can give me some advice on this ^^;
anyway. one day i decided to look for a japanese penpal. i found this guy close to my age and emailed him via the form they provided on the penpal site. a couple of days later, he replied introducing himself and stuff, and he also asked for my address @_@; so i thought we only exchanged one email and he's asking for my address? isnt that a little......dangerous? then i replied saying that i'd like to know him a little bit better.
We exchanged a couple more emails, being a paranoid self that i am, i started to think what if he's a STALKER? XD; for a japanese boy, his english is really good and the words actually makes sense. But i get suspicious because he mispells the weirdest things, as if it was on purpose. (mispelled words like hikaru, english, etc) yesterday, i got an email from him asking for my address =_=; so i was wondering what should i do? tell him i dont trust him? or not reply at all? XD; *cough* what if he is really a normal japanese boy? @_@; thanks for reading everyone~ ^^;

Definately wouldn't give my address to a complete stranger. I'd simply ask him "What do you need it for?" Because I can't really see anyone other than a stalker needing your address. Don't say straight up that you don't trust him, just incase he isn't a stalker, Heh. Simply ask him why he wants it, I'm interested to hear what his response is.

Just wondering, if you don't mind, could you post one of those message? (maybe a small part without anything sensitive.) Many times, Japanese people tend to write English a certain way. I'd just like to see what his English looks like. ^^'

But for your case, if you don't feel comfortable, just don't reply at all. I mean, does he even say anything about exchanging snail mail? Or just direcly asks you for your address?

Keiichi

😊

thanks for your advice king of toyko :3

sure i can post it up :

I'm sorry,I'm to be late.

Ummmmm.......I like draw, but I'm poor at drawing. I like sing a song too.

My favorite Jaopanese singer is Utada Hikalu.(I think you dont know.)

And my favorite anime is DORAEMON!

I'm very sad because summer vacation will end soon.How about you?

BY the way, what club will you belong to in high school?

PS) We could know each other couldn't we? So, please tell me your address.

by the way, shouldnt school in Japan started already?

yuzu said:
thanks for your advice king of toyko :3

sure i can post it up :

by the way, shouldnt school in Japan started already?

Yup, Japan school year is April to March I believe. So it seems he may not really be from Japan. Plus if he was, why would he need to know your address? It's not like he could walk from Japan to [Insert your country here]. This guy sounds suspicious if you ask me. Find out his IP to check if he's really in Japan, if not, then you know he is a liar.

I'm reading what he sent you and it sounds a little sketchy. First off, do not give him your address. You have to ask yourself whether he has showed you any trust or not. So far, it doesn't seem so. Secondly, ask him questions that involve a detailed answer. For example, things about Japan, what school does he go too there? etc.--to lazy to think of any good ones. If his answers seem odd, then you'll know. Trust your instincts, because you are probably more on the ball than you think. If it turns out bad...don't forget to block via e-mail.

Good Luck!!! 👍

Well summer vacation just ended yesterday, so he might be from Japan, but I still don't see why you would need to give him your address. Just tell him to get lost. Find a new penpal who isn't a stalker.

I agree, that message does look a bit sketchy. I don't blame you for suspecting the words he actually does spell wrong (Jaopanese? of all of them?) and how most of it looks quite good...

What is the mail domain this person is sending from? Hotmail? Personal domain name? Etc.
I suggest you check up on this guy. First, do a possible mail IP check. Your mail thing should have something that you can see the "headers" of an email, and this may display a hefty amount of info as to where the mail is sent from.

Keiichi

😊

Yeah it seems very suspicious to me, too. So far I don't trust him, and you shouldn't either... a penpal shouldn't be asking for your address on first E-mail... unless they aren't a penpal at all... perhaps a mass murderer?!

Lol... this reminds me yesterday of my GF telling me about a stalker she has...

I asked if she had asked him to leave her alone. Or if she'd like me to threaten or beat him up the next time I visit... lol

Turns out he's a long time friend of hers and she doesn't want to hurt his feelings...

Kinda strange when he waited outsite her window to see if it turned on, then called her when it did, and then asked to borrow some comic books... all this around 12:30pm! rofl...

From the message it looks fine, the misspelling it acceptable, i've seen "wold" for word, anything with an 'r' or 'l' is up for misspelling. As for jaopanese, p & o are right next to each other.

Still, he doesnt NEED your address, he has your email, if he wants to be an *** about it just block him. Plenty of people about.

lol @ hero :D

thank you very much you guys! 🙂

i shall check out his ip~
his email domain is yahoo.co.jp and docomo.ne.jp (he claims his computer is broken so he's using his cellphone's email address +_+;)

edit: i found out his ip address, it's [210.80.241.70] for his yahoo account one and [203.138.203.10] for the cell phone one. are those from japan? *doesnt know*

i just tried both of those I.P.s on a web-based IP Address Locator and it didnt come up with anything. It couldnt find the i.p's

:?

Porl''

Those are both JP E-mail addresses... and yes the docomo.ne.jp one is from japanese cell phone. My girl has same type.

I'm clueless about IPs...

Maybe he just wants to write you a love letter in slow-mail? That way you can keep it and cherish it forever! hahaha :D

Okay, from that, my personal conclusion is that this person is probably from Japan. I think he's just pushing it pretty quick or something. He still should've stated why he wanted your address, though.

Keiichi

😊

yuzu said:
lol @ hero :D

thank you very much you guys! 🙂

i shall check out his ip~
his email domain is yahoo.co.jp and docomo.ne.jp (he claims his computer is broken so he's using his cellphone's email address +_+;)

edit: i found out his ip address, it's [210.80.241.70] for his yahoo account one and [203.138.203.10] for the cell phone one. are those from japan? *doesnt know*

those are just the ip addresses for the mail servers, not his own computer. anyway, an nslookup will verify the ips. in windows, click start, click run and type 'cmd' to get a command prompt. type 'nslookup <ipaddress>'- it returns the names of the yahoo and docomo mail servers. anybody can sign up for a yahoo japan account though (it's just webmail...). but i don't think you can get a docomo phone outside japan.

DO NOT GIVE HIM YOUR ADDRESS

BUT 210.80.241.70 is from Tokyo or at least greater Tokyo, my tracer fingers shibuya-ku or suginama-ku on the map, which is a little to the west of central tokyo and I think this is the location of YAhoo in Tokyo, but there's no way you can use these phone from outside of Japan, at least I think

This is the WHOIS info on the IP

Domain Information:
a. [Domain Name] YAHOO.CO.JP
g. [Organization] Yahoo Japan Corporation
l. [Organization Type] Corporation
m. [Administrative Contact] SI2534JP
n. [Technical Contact] IT018JP
p. [Name Server] dnsg01.yahoo.co.jp
p. [Name Server] dnsn201.yahoo.co.jp
y. [Reply Mail] [email protected]
[State] Connected (2004/11/30)
[Registered Date] 2000/11/17
[Connected Date] 2000/11/17
[Last Update] 2003/12/01 02:22:05 (JST)

You shouldn't worry when someone who is Japanese "misspells" things in romanization/English. After all, it's an artificial system and doesn't come near perfectly representing Japanese. It's very easy for a Japanese person to miss the difference between "ru" and "lu," or something similar, especially since they probably rarely see these Japanese written in Roman letters. Loan words are a real pain to put back into Roman letters, too, because while there's some consistency in putting English sounds into Japanese syllables, the same is not true of converting them back. If that made any sense.

Still, I think your caution is admirable, even though I had many snail-mail penpals as a teen. If I were you, I would just tell him that you/your parents (I have no idea what age you are) don't give out your home address to people you don't know well. Then give it to him in a few weeks if you feel comfortable.

i really agree with the last post. much, MUCH thanks for posting
the rest of the thread is kind of depressing though
looks like everybody is trying to judge this guy by aol/american internet standards, which is wrong
it's disgusting (to me) that the original poster done posted dude's ip on an internet forum, and that everybody else think they on on csi or whatever -- doing whois on the man :( for no reason.
*if he had sent a virus or some freaky links/pictures, etc, that would be reason (imo)*
i have had japanese people email/give me their addresses, but not necessarily mean for me to write, call, or visit.
japanese people have asked me questions like
why am i in japan? am i here for the women?
how old am i?
what are my hobbies?
and last, but certainly not least, how much do i make?
all within one minute of meeting me
i have no earthly idea why he would want an address, unless he wanted to snail mail -- but a lot of stuff doesn't make sense to me. at least i know to leave it alone and do without it if it doesn't though...
getting a native japanese penpal means getting a penpal who is a native japanese. please remember that
that guy sure knows how to pick a penpal *sarcasm*
best of luck to him, he will need it :(
*leaves thread for good*

You guys are getting your panties all wadded up over nothing. My impression is that the person doesn't necessarily want the actual physical street address of the OP's house, but wants to know roughly what area he lives in.

And as far as summer vacation in Japan goes, my kids just started back to school a few days ago, so that part doesn't seem odd at all.

I don't think it seems like such a big deal, either. I agree with everything budd said, because I've had native Japanese penpals who've asked me and said weirder things than any of those... ☝ Maybe it was a misunderstanding. Are you sure he meant your home address? Maybe by saying 'address', he meant your general area, and not your actual street number/P.O. Box/whatever.

Back
Top Bottom