What's new

About connecting to internet

hiverloon

先輩
23 Aug 2015
All this time I have been living in a university provided accommodation where the internet access is already provided and set up. I am moving to a public apartment now and have to get the internet setting done all by myself. In my room there are phone line plug, cat5 plug, and another one with a sign "光コンサート" (I am sorry whether the last katakana was accurate, I don't really remember what it was but I think it is an optical fiber plug?). I have a wifi router and LAN cable, tried to connect it directly to the cat5 plug with my LAN cable (only cat5 plug fits the shape of the cable) and as expected no internet access. Internet service aside, I think I still need a DSL modem set between the wall plug and my router. From what I heard if I register to an internet provider they will provide me with the necessary equipments such as modem and/or router but I have my own already. Do you know if I can ask for the internet access only so that the cost is reduced? Furthermore, what are your suggestion for a reasonably priced internet providers?

All this time I have been living in a university provided accommodation where the internet access is already provided and set up. I am moving to a public apartment now and have to get the internet setting done all by myself. In my room there are phone line plug, cat5 plug, and another one with a sign "光コンサート" (I am sorry whether the last katakana was accurate, I don't really remember what it was but I think it is an optical fiber plug?). I have a wifi router and LAN cable, tried to connect it directly to the cat5 plug with my LAN cable (only cat5 plug fits the shape of the cable) and as expected no internet access. Internet service aside, I think I still need a DSL modem set between the wall plug and my router. From what I heard if I register to an internet provider they will provide me with the necessary equipments such as modem and/or router but I have my own already. Do you know if I can ask for the internet access only so that the cost is reduced? Furthermore, what are your suggestion for a reasonably priced internet providers?
No, you'll need their modem, and then you can connect your router to their modem. At least I did.

I used Hikari Flets with NTT. Nice people. Fast enough internet. Been about a year and a half since I did my setup, though, so perhaps newer information prevails.

No, you'll need their modem, and then you can connect your router to their modem. At least I did.

I'm not so good at technical side of stuff but I've never had both a router and a modem (if you mean two different boxes) to connect to internet in any country.

Also when we recently changed ISP here in Japan (and same thing when I was in another country too) we didn't need any physical equipment from them - we just changed settings in the router from our previous ISP.

I think because you already have WiFi router it should be enough but I may be wrong.

I'm not so good at technical side of stuff but I've never had both a router and a modem (if you mean two different boxes) to connect to internet in any country.

Also when we recently changed ISP here in Japan (and same thing when I was in another country too) we didn't need any physical equipment from them - we just changed settings in the router from our previous ISP.

I think because you already have WiFi router it should be enough but I may be wrong.
Are you sure the modem wasn't from NTT or KDDI or another line provider and when you switched ISPs you didn't just switch between two that use the same service from NTT/KDDI/etc.?

Most internet services in Japan are unbundled:

Internet Services in Tokyo | Housing Japan

Are you sure the modem wasn't from NTT or KDDI or another line provider and when you switched ISPs you didn't just switch between two that use the same service from NTT/KDDI/etc.?

I ended up ordering the modem as well as their router because they cannot check whether my router model (from Aterm) is compatible with their modem. Instead they suggested that I should contact Aterm directly regarding this compatibility issue. Not wanting to have another hassle, I decided to use their router too which charges me with an additional 300 JPY/month (although it is still discounted for a certain period of time). Could you possibly use the same type of router as mine?

I did quite a research before deciding to register to Asahi net for the ISP and NTT's hikari FLET. From those websites I was left with the impression that Asahi net is among the best in terms of service and fees but why can't I find them in that list (they are also officially awarded as no. 1 customer satisfaction)? The list was made in 2014 but the thought that Asahi net being either a newly established company or that they quickly risen to top places in terms of service is very unlikely to me.

Last edited:
Could you possibly use the same type of router as mine?

I bought my own router, which has since died. I doubt there are any routers not compatible with any modems, but perhaps. I'm not currently in Japan and now I just use the wifi sharing on my mac mini instead of a dedicated router.

I did quite a research before deciding to register to Asahi net for the ISP and NTT's hikari FLET. From those websites I was left with the impression that Asahi net is among the best in terms of service and fees but why can't I find them in that list (they are also officially awarded as no. 1 customer satisfaction)?

No idea, sorry.

Back
Top Bottom