What's new

A short dialogue

Carabas

後輩
8 Oct 2004
One of the most frustating things I encounter in spoken Japanese is the speaker's tendency to slur. In the following dialogue, a boy (A-kun) is trying to coax his acquaintance (B-san) to lend him money, and the boy's way to speak is kinda annyoing because he slurs a lot:

A-kun: よかった,Bサンいて. も 今さらにヤバくて金なくて
Thank God you're there, Mr. B. Now that I'm in a pinch and broke too...

B-san: A君力になってあげたいけどね
I want to help you, A-kun...

A-kun: そうすよね また金貸せっつーのもアレっすもんね...
(Can anyone give me a gist what he's trying to say after the 金貸せ-part?)

これマジ相談なんすけど...
This is a serious offer...

<Now he's offering to do something for B-san>

そうゆうのどうかなって...
I've been wondering about that... (Hmm, is it "dou ka na-tte" or "douka natte"?)

やっぱただで金もらうのとか悪いし
I can't just take your money without doing anything after all.

What do you think of my translation attempts?

Hi, Carabas!

Your translation is good! 👍

A-kun: そうすよね また金貸せっつーのもアレっすもんね...
This is something typical of modern colloquial Japanese. The standard form is: そうですよね。また、お金を貸してっていうのもアレですものね。
"Are" (that) is very often used when the speaker cannot think of the right word or don't want to say the word. The listener is supposed to understand from context.
So, the translation might be: Yeah, I can't be asking you for money again...

そうゆうのどうかなって...
I've been wondering about that... (Hmm, is it "dou ka na-tte" or "douka natte"?)
It's "doukana-tte." :)

epigene said:
This is something typical of modern colloquial Japanese. The standard form is: そうですよね。また、お金を貸してっていうのもアレですものね。
"Are" (that) is very often used when the speaker cannot think of the right word or don't want to say the word. The listener is supposed to understand from context.
So, the translation might be: Yeah, I can't be asking you for money again...
Just to add something minor to epigene-san's already excellent explanation, I've always found this use of "あれ" to be very close to the colloquial use of "you know" in English (well, one particular use of it).

"And just asking you to lend me money again would be... you know." (i.e. implying it's not a good thing or not something he should do, and implying that both he and the person he's speaking to know this)

Maybe you've heard things like 「そういうのってあれですよね」 ("That's (lit. something like that) is-- you know." Sometimes I think I use this 「あれ」 too much when I'm speaking Japanese. Like "you know" in English, it's also a handy word to use when you're trying to say something and you can't come up with the right word to describe it -- a good way to cover for a lack of vocabulary in some situations. :p

Epigene-san and jt_-san,

Thank you for the explanation. I definitely couldn't have figured those things out by myself. ^^;

Back
Top Bottom