What's new

A little accident in the kitchen ...

Sensuikan San

The Geezer
Rest in Peace
9 Feb 2005
This is silly - but it does lead me to a question ...

Last evening, my wife cooked Chinese food (as she often does) - all very nice, but ... when she was preparing some boiled rice - she didn't notice that she was using a wooden spoon previously used for preparing strawberry jello ....... !

The result was .... the most beautiful bright pink boiled rice you have ever seen! No flavor - but bright pink !

It actually looked rather nice!

But .... in China or Japan ... would this have had any ceremonial significance?

Just had to ask.

ニ淡ニ停?。ニ停?

Rice turned pink with the effect of strawberry jello sounds like a nice twist!

Yes, in Japan, some people still make rice cooked with red azuki beans for national holidays and special occasions.
If you go to a shinto style wedding, they usually give you a box of rice to take home with you.

I'm not sure the origin of this tradition, but they make it for its festive appearance.

That sounds like a much more pleasant kitchen accident than a similar one which happened to me.

My wife peeled and sliced an apple for me....one which had a most unusual taste.

It turned out that prior to peeling and slicing the apple she had used the same knife to slice an onion.

nice story.. that must be interesting taste..

once i put salt instead of sugar in my tea... uh, not so nice...

and once, my mom fried rice instead of some cereals (witch was used instead of coffee) and then my parents drink it like coffee... :p i dont wanna know what taste was that

🙂

Alma said:
once i put salt instead of sugar in my tea... uh, not so nice...

My husband once put salt instead of sugar in his Mum's tea when she had been mean to him. She got her own back by drinking it to the last drop without even flinching!

Tsuyoiko said:
My husband once put salt instead of sugar in his Mum's tea when she had been mean to him. She got her own back by drinking it to the last drop without even flinching!

O.O wow, that's kind of..painful to the taste buds. Eating a chunk of ginger is..just...gross, not a accident..gross, tastes like soap.

Oh! I had a small faux pas when making Kakuni one time... On the night I made it slaving over the hot stove for 6 hours until it was just right, it tasted perfect... but I wanted to save some for my boyfriend to have for lunch the next day... and i reheated it in the pot with some of the juices, and ummm I over glazed it and it burnt. Sooo disappointing! Anyone know a good way to not let this happen again without using a microwave??

When I was little my mother never EVER bought us candy or sweets. One day when I was 5 and I had to go to school... anyway I played up saying that I didnt want to etc etc, and she promised me a 'treat' when she went shopping if I did. So anyway I went to school, all excited about my treat. Got home that afternoon, and mum gave me a small white paper bag, very similar to the types given back in the 80's when you went to the store to buy candy mixes.
Well inside was what I thought was a single candy... SOOO happy and elated to be give Candy I rushed to take it out of the bag and took a chomp on it, much to my mothers horror, I can still see her face now as her eyes widened in shock, before changing into laughter, for her stupid daughter had bitten into an eraser. Rubber doesnt taste so good in tiny little pieces in your mouth.

Back
Top Bottom