What's new

A few more silly questions

hydeMadeMeGay

Kouhai
2 Mar 2015
Hello. My intention is to post, every now and then, a series of questions I write down when studying. These aren't necessarily complex questions. Some are about particles, some other are about verbs, etc. Normally I wouldn't write a post just to ask which particle to use in a sentence but the moment I start to doubt about everything I write it becomes necessary to clear things up a little. Having said that:

1) I came across 何時ごろですか as a synonym of "what time was it/that?" when In fact it seems to be in the present tense. Was that an error? What's the expression for asking for a specific time when the event happened in the past?

2) I should know this, and in fact I think I do, but It wouldn't hurt to know how many questions words exist for the japanese counterparts of "what" and "which"

3) Very silly one, How do you say "last match" as in "If their team won last match, they would sit in the same spot for the next one". This is confusing to me because I'm not used to writing both last time and next time in the same sentence (it doesn't sound natural to a beginner japanese student)

4) How do you say " they noticed the window was open" The only way I can come up with (and I dont know if it is grammatically correct) is:

窓が閉まていたことに気がつきました

On a similar note, is てある in the past tense sufficient when you want to say something was "left open" or is that grammatically incorrect too?

Thanks in advance.

1)
Both 何時ごろですか and 何時ごろだったんですか work fine. The reason the present tense is used there is that the first half of the question, for instance それが起きたのは, is omitted and the past tense is expressed here.

2)
whatの意味 - goo辞書 英和和英
whichの意味 - goo辞書 英和和英

3)
この前の試合

4)
閉まる is "to close/shut", and the -te form of it is 閉まて.
開けてある means "to be opened for a purpose".
As for ~てある, the following thread might be helpful.
てある [Grammar] | Japan Forum

Thanks a lot! Oh boy did I f... up. I know both 閉まる and 開ける but for some weird reason I wrote one instead of the other. Im also aware of my other grammar mistake but this isnt the place to say "yeah yeah, I know". I acknowledge my mistake.

Back
Top Bottom