What's new

2 Questions

Jncocontrol

先輩
25 Dec 2009
Hey guys,
I wanting to Work in Japan, Here is kinda the thing, I'm currently work at IKEA in Seattle WA, And I'm thinking of transfering to Japan to take on some school, and curious will the immigration office have any problem with this?
Also, Correct me if i'm wrong here, But I'm only allowed up to 20 hours per week if i'm a Forenginer who is taking up College in Japan?

EDIT: I forgot to add, I do have a passport, and before I ship out, I will remember to get a Student visa, Cause I am aware that Japan has very strict immigration laws, I'd rather not be forbidden to not enter japan for the next 5+ years.

EDIT 2: Damnit, I forgot to also mention, I'm gonna be going to a college around 1 of the IKEA's in Japan. Just fyi.

I don't understand your concern. What is it about your situation that makes you think Immigration would have some objection to your obtaining a student visa? If they have a problem with it, you won't get a student visa.

(Is English your native language?)

I don't understand your concern. What is it about your situation that makes you think Immigration would have some objection to your obtaining a student visa? If they have a problem with it, you won't get a student visa.

(Is English your native language?)
Well, Call me paranoid, But like i said, I don't wanna be banned from Japan for 5+ years.

Yes, My native language is English. But, I didn't do quite well in English class. Spare me the lecture.

Last edited:
You have to get permission from the school for part-time work on a student visa; I've heard some schools won't give this right away, because they want to make sure your grades are fine first (plus whatever processing time it takes).

Where are you planning to apply? They should have information on what they require (on top of what immigration will require). Remember that you can't plan to support yourself on part-time work alone - you'll have to show you have the money to pay your fees and your living costs in order to get the visa.

College students are allowed to work 28 hours per week as long as they get special permission from immigration.
Permission to Engage in an Activity Other Than That Permitted by the Status of Residence Previously Granted

Otherwise, the student visa alone does not allow work. To reiterate nekojita, some (many/most?) schools will not allow you to work for the first 3-4 months because they want to know if you are actually serious about going to school. Some foreigners aren't, and their aim is to sneak in under the radar to find FT work and then skip out on their student visas.

Now that we have that cleared up, what exactly do you plan to study? I presume you understand that you must be accepted by the school first, and after that you apply for the visa. To apply, you must be able to prove you can pay for all tuition costs.

When you say "I'm thinking of transfering to Japan to take on some school", does that mean IKEA is transferring you, or did you just mean you are moving here of your own accord? And, does that mean you are going to be a FT student or just take some classes here and there? (Yes, your English is that bad that I cannot understand these points.)

BTW,
Whatever happened to your notion of becoming a PE teacher here, and/or designing video games (here)?
PE teacher

Back
Top Bottom