What's new

話がする?

akbar

後輩
12 Dec 2009
I have trouble translating the following sentence:

一度その方に会ってを話がしたいですね。

My problem comes from the expression 話がする. What kind of construction is it? Does it need to be understood with the whole 会ってを話がしたい?
Maybe this is an idiomatic expression, but I couldn't find a proper grammatical explanation anywhere.
Many thanks for your help.

That's a typo of 会って話がしたい.

Some combined verbs (e.g. -tai form, potential form) take が as the object marker, thus, お話がしたい means "I want to talk to the person" in the example sentence. The simple verb する doesn't take this が, so 話がする isn't used.

Usage

The i form has many uses, typically as a prefix. These include:
---------
To express a wish when followed by the ending たい tai: 食べたい tabetai: "I want to eat it", 行きたい ikitai: "I want to go". (The tai ending conjugates as an い i adjective.)

Japanese verb conjugation - Wikipedia

Thank you for your answer, and sorry for the typo.
I am familiar with the -たい form, but I now understand it is because of the polite お-form that お話がしたい was used instead of 話したい directly. Unless there is a more subtle nuance in meaning between the two?
I still don't understand the way the first part of the sentence fits with the following お話がしたい. Is the use of the -て form for 会う also to be understood in the usual "suspensive" way, e.g. "I want to meet and I want to talk"?
(In that case, I would assume there would be a と or a least a punctuation mark between the two verbs, but this is probably wrong)
How do you translate the ね at the end of the sentence? It doesn't seem (to me) to fit into the usual "isn't it?" equivalent here.
何卒宜しくお願いします。

I am familiar with the -たい form, but I now understand it is because of the polite お-form that お話がしたい was used instead of 話したい directly. Unless there is a more subtle nuance in meaning between the two?
一度会ってお話したい sounds that the speaker wants to see and talk to the person for a certain purpose (e.g. for an explanation), whereas 一度会ってお話がしたい can be used just to be diplomatic.

I still don't understand the way the first part of the sentence fits with the following お話がしたい. Is the use of the -て form for 会う also to be understood in the usual "suspensive" way, e.g. "I want to meet and I want to talk"?
Yes.

In that case, I would assume there would be a 窶堙 or a least a punctuation mark between the two verbs, but this is probably wrong
The particle し, not と, is used to combine phrases/clauses.

会いたいし、話がしたい

How do you translate the ね at the end of the sentence? It doesn't seem (to me) to fit into the usual "isn't it?" equivalent here.
It depends on the context, but seems to me that the speaker used it simply to soften his/her assertion.

Thanks again. Using what we discussed so far, here is my take at translating the sentence:
(context: the person in question is a woman)
"It would be nice to have an opportunity to meet and talk to her, don't you think?"
What do you think?
共有難うご座いました。

一度会ってお話したい sounds that the speaker wants to see and talk to the person for a certain purpose (e.g. for an explanation), whereas 一度会ってお話がしたい can be used just to be diplomatic.
Yes.
The particle し, not と, is used to combine phrases/clauses.
会いたいし、話がしたい
It depends on the context, but seems to me that the speaker used it simply to soften his/her assertion.
ああ......ちょっと.....話がしたい is also often translated as "have a talk" (with), giving the listener a frightening sense of urgency.

私はその事柄について彼と話がしたい。というメッセージをこめていることがわかる (something important to discuss with you を言って.....)

Thanks again. Using what we discussed so far, here is my take at translating the sentence:
(context: the person in question is a woman)
"It would be nice to have an opportunity to meet and talk to her, don't you think?"
What do you think?
Since I don't know the exact context, I can't judge especially about the ね part.

共有難うご座いました。
If you wanted to say どうもありがとうございました, どうも should be written in kana. There's no kanji for it. Also, the kanji for ございます is 御座います, hiragana is more common, though.

ああ......ちょっと.....話がしたい is also often translated as "have a talk" (with), giving the listener a frightening sense of urgency.

私はその事柄について彼と話がしたい。というメッセージをこめていることがわかる (something important to discuss with you を言って.....)
The difference I explained in the previous post is for the particular case of 一度会ってお話したい vs. 一度会ってお話がしたい. When the case of 一度その人に話がしたい, the nuance is completely different from the original (more likely close to 一度会ってお話したい).
The meaning depends on the context, as always.

Thanks for your precious help. That was really helpful indeed.
どうも有難うございました。

Back
Top Bottom