What's new

訪れる vs 訪ねる

おとずれる【訪れる】の類語・シソーラス - 類語辞書 - goo辞書

• 【1】「訪ねる」は、様子を知ろうとして、その場所に出かける意、または、ある目的から人に会いに行く意。
  • 【2】「訪れる」は、「訪ねる」とほぼ同じ意味だが、「彼を訪れる」という言い方はせず、「彼の家を訪れる」の形になる。他に、「春が訪れる」「平和が訪れる」のように、ある時期・季節・状態が「やってくる」の意味にも用いる。
Basically, the meanings are similar, but if you're talking about visiting a person, it's more natural to use Xさんを訪ねる. With 訪れる you would mark the location (somebody's house or office) instead. Also, things like seasons, conditions/states ("peace") can "visit", for which only 訪れる is used.

That's exactly what i suspected, thanks for clearing this out nekojita. Also i had no idea about seasons, states using 訪れる, but it totally makes sense. What an interesting way of expressing temporary entities.

Another question, regarding goo jisho. What do (ナ下一) and (ラ下一) in 訪ねる, 訪れる entries mean? Are they phonetics-related? Also does triangle in comparison chart means "both possible"?

ナ下一 and ラ下一 have to do with 文語 verb classifications (ナ下一 = ナ行下一段活用動詞 ). If you've heard references to "ichidan" and "godan" verbs, it's related to those, there's just more categories.

In the table, ○ is "good" and a dash is don't use, △ is somewhere between - "possible" but perhaps best avoided if unsure. See the dictionary help:
類語辞書凡例 - goo辞書

Incidentally, when the subject is second or third person and the object/target is I/my place, 訪ねてくる is used instead of 訪ねる.

Just a correction.
おと‐ず・れる
[動ラ下一][文]おとづ・る[ラ下二]
おとずれる【訪れる】の意味 - 国語辞書 - goo辞書

たず・ねる
[動ナ下一][文]たづ・ぬ[ナ下二]
たずねる【訪ねる】の意味 - 国語辞書 - goo辞書

下一段活用 is the category for modern verbs 訪れる and 訪ねる here. 下二段活用 is the one for classical verbs 訪る and 訪ぬ. In 国文法/学校文法, modern ichidan verbs are classified into 下一段活用 and 上一段活用 (e.g. 着る, 見る).

Back
Top Bottom