What's new

明日もここにおる

eeky

先輩
8 Jun 2010
「明日、わしが学校の皆に話をする。それまで、明日もここにおるのじゃぞ」

Assuming there are no other contextual clues, is it possible to tell whether the subject of おる is the speaker, the addressee or a third party?

それまで、明日もここにおるのじゃぞ is imperative(それまで、明日もここにいるんだぞ=いなさい), subject of おる is the addressee.

Yeah, it's also from other parts of the context (said to the addressee and the previous sentence 明日、わしが学校の皆に話をする。).

Here's an example of another context.
やつが出ていくのはあさってじゃ。つまりそれまで、明日もここにおるのじゃぞ。用心せねばならん。

In the example above, the subject of おる is やつ, and のじゃぞ emphasizes the reason of the caution; つまりやつは明日もここにいるのだ / いるということだ。だから用心しなければならない。.

Thanks, so looking at that one sentence alone, is it the のじゃぞ part that shows the subject can't be the speaker?

The subject also can be the speaker in some contexts.
e.g.
わしが出ていくのはあさってじゃ。それまで、明日もここにおるのじゃぞ。寝床くらい用意してもらわんと困る。

The context is the key, as always.

Yeah, it's also from other parts of the context (said to the addressee and the previous sentence 明日、わしが学校の皆に話をする。).

May I ask how the first sentence provides evidence that the subject of おる is not the speaker? At the moment I can't see it.

のじゃぞ shows that それまで、明日もここにおる is information the speaker wants to emphasize. (This の is for explanation.) If the subject of おる is the addressee, the relation between "I'll explain the circumstances tomorrow" and "you should stay here until that, also tomorrow" is reasonable to emphasize. Or, when the caution follows it, as in my examples "you should be careful against him" and "you should prepare a bed for me", "he'll be here also tomorrow" and "I'll stay here also tomorrow" are reasonable information to emphasize, therefore "he" and the speaker can be the subject of おる, respectively.

If のじゃぞ isn't there, the subject of おる is the speaker. In this case, it connotes "if you want to say something to me, you can visit me", and "I'll stay here also tomorrow" is not information the speaker has to emphasize.

Back
Top Bottom